Silverfish in My Bed

Category Bugs
A magnified silverfish on a black background.
Silverfish are a pest that need to be dealt with quickly before they become an infestation. This is a guide about silverfish in my bed.

Now and then I am finding silverfish in my bed. I didn't think much at first but it's continuing and I'm getting worried. What can I do to stop this?

Disgustedii from Metairie, LA

http://en.wikip  /wiki/Silverfish

Oh, yuck those are awful critters. Are the silverfish coming into your house from the outside? You will have to find the source of entry. If your bed is infected with them, you might have to replace your mattress. Before you go through the expense of replacing your mattress, call an exterminator, and if you rent, call your landlord. Just a thought.

Call a professional pest control company and ask them how you can deal with the situation.

You don't want these bugs multiplying any more than they already have.

Good luck!

A little bit about silverfish from wikipedia..

"The favorite food of silverfish is any matter that contains starch or polysaccharides, such as dextrin in adhesives. These include glue, book bindings, paper, photos, sugar, hair, and dandruff. Silverfish can also cause damage to books, tapestries, and textiles. Silverfish will commonly graze in and around showers, baths, and sinks on the cellulose present in many shampoos, shaving foams and so on. Apart from these cases, the damage caused by silverfish is negligible and they have no direct effect on human health beyond psychological distress to those who are frightened or disgusted by their appearance. However, they also have a bite which may cause irritation but has no long term effects. Other substances that may be eaten include cotton, linen, silk and synthetic fibres, and dead insects or even its own exuvia (moulted exoskeleton). During famine, a silverfish may even attack leatherware and synthetic fabrics. In extreme cases, silverfish may live for a year without eating."

My suggestion is to clean up that attic or basement if you have one. Place your starches in the kitchen in resealable containers, and change your sheets often. My house was built in 1920, we have them in our attic. I found one under my pillow once and and I complained to my husband. He told me I shouldn't go to bed with wet hair. I havent since then, and I have never found another one in our bed since. Their not a scary bug, but definitly not something you want as a snuggle companion! I have goosebumps for ya!

I have them too in my house, but I don't usually get them in my bed. Don't let your bedclothes drag on the floor, don't have a long dustruffle, keep bed away from walls, etc. Wash sheets often. They could be dropping from the ceiling, but I have them on my ceiling and never get them in the bed. There are products available (Dekko Silverfish Paks), and the website greenharvest.com has a recipe for making your own drawerliners, etc., using boric acid among other things. Good luck!