Browsing: Removing Food Stains from Tablecloths

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Removing Food Stains from Tablecloths

Tablecloths do a good job of protecting a dining table. However, in the process they often get covered with food stains. This is a guide about removing food stains from tablecloths.

white tablecloth
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

April 12, 2010 Flag

How do I remove old set-in stains from restaurant quality table linens?

By Brenda from Wheatfield, IN

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

If the stain is tea or coffee and the table linens are light in color lay the tablecloth outside on something when the sun is up and wet the spot with water. Keep doing this till stain is gone. Keep the spot of stain moist. This also works on clothing. I have had tea stains on white tops and did the same thing. Rosemary, Ohio

I wash with a cup of white vinegar in the water and then lay the item in the sunshine. Works great on perspiration stains, too.

I used to watch my mother use lemon juice after someone had spilled some red wine on one of her favorite tablecloths. She first rinsed the item in cold water, then outside on an old clothes line she kept, she would spread it out and treat with fresh lemon juice. It worked!

January 4, 2007 Flag

How do you remove stains from a cotton tablecloth that was washed and stored away for a year? We think it is some kind of food protein. Please help.

Eugene from Newark, OH

Could anyone tell me what 'BIZ' is and where I can find it? Thanks!

Editor's Note: It is a type of laundry detergent. Here is a link with some information, the company website doesn't seem to be working so the product might be no longer available.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biz_(detergent)

BIZ-an old standby from thee 60's and 70's. I found it at Walmart. . online.

BIZ-an old standby from the 60's & 70's. I found it today at Walmart online.

Read More Answers...

January 31, 2007 Flag

I have tried oxy cleaner, dawn, simple green and I still have food and grease stains on table cloths and napkins. Does anyone have any other ideas?

Tammie from FL

I would try pouring ammonia on it. I had turkey grease stains on my pants (from a baster that went wild). I washed them without thinking and even dried them. I rewashed them, pouring ammonia on them and the stain came right out.

I have tried ammonia and it usually works....also WD-40 believe it or not seems to work on some tough grease stains wash soon after applying do not allow any pretreatment to dry as it will sometimes make the stain worse.

I have found the best way to remove gravy stains is simply to wash the entire garment in a vat of gravy. It's a little hard on the spin cycle, but it evens out the color quite nicely.

<b>Editor's Note</b> Tee hee.

Goop! Found in any hardware store. Seriously. It's a grease cleaner, works amazing, little bit goes long way.

Read More Answers...

July 14, 2008 Flag

I bought several vintage tablecloths at an estate sale. There are old grease stains and other stains on them. Any ideas how to get them off? Most of the table cloths are cotton.

sandytn from Knoxville, TN

I've had really good luck with soaking things in Oxyclean. I have some very old things my grandmother made and it got rust and old whatever out nicely.

If the fabric is white cotton, you can use liquid chlorine bleach in the wash water...or soak it first in a bleach and water solution. I would not do this if the fabric appeared to be damaged, but I bleached the years-old stains out of one of my mother's cotton damask tablecloths, and had no problems at all. Again, if it's white, you can dry the cloth in the sun for more bleaching power.

For colors or more delicate fabric, try soaking in Biz Bleach. Do not dry in the dryer--if the stains didn't come out, the heat will set them. You can do this more than once if you don't dry it in the dryer.

I have had very good luck removing grease stains from a variety of fabrics by rubbing the stain with waterless hand cleaner, such as Goop, and washing as usual. (Goop is sold in the automotive department for about $1.50). Just rub it on and rub it in. As long as you don't dry the article in the dryer, you can use this treatment more than once. I just got an incredible grease stain out of a blouse, but it took 4 applications and washings. On the other hand, I had spilled a large amount of bacon grease down the front, and it was a miracle it EVER came out.

Sandy,

If you have septic, like we do, you know that you can't use regular bleach. Try handwashing in cold water at the sink and scrubbing the stains with a bar of Ivory Soap. This works so great on my daughter's work shirts at Sonic!

May 31, 2011 Flag

How many times has this happened: you're hosting a holiday party or attending one and at dinner someone spills gravy on the tablecloth? Well, now you don't have to panic about it staining. Simply grab for the artificial sweetener Splenda. The fine powder absorbs the oil and keeps the greasy goo from making a permanent stain.

By Janus from Gainesville, GA

May 22, 2006 Flag

To get spots from a cloth tablecloth, dab the spots with dish liquid while the cloth is still on the table. Usually we try to do this with the tablecloth off the table, but the spots are hard to find that way. Also, dish liquid is an economical and safe treatment for food stains.

By Carol from Wyoming, PA

Home and Garden Cleaning LaundryApril 26, 2013
Using a plastic tablecloth as a picnic blanket.
Uses for Plastic Tablecloths
Lace Tablecloth
Removing Grease Stains on a Lace Tablecloth
Dining table with a nice tablecloth.
Saving Money on Tablecloths
Plastic Tablecloth
Caring for Plastic Tablecloths
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on August 21, 2016 at 6:37:49 PM on 10.0.0.143 in 6 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.