Cup and Saucer Planter Gift

By Phyllis Powell 7 9

This is a quick easy gardening gift you can make up very easily. Get an old cup and saucer, fill it with dirt and plant chickens in it. I glue the cup to the saucer so it will not move, makes a nice gift to someone who is sick, does not take a lot of care to maintain.

succulents planted in a cup and saucer

By Phyllis from Roseburg, OR

About The Author: This is from a previously posted tip:

http://www.thriftyfun.com/tf965726.tip.html

Showing: Comments Sort

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

That looks very pretty,but I had a laugh when I read 'plant chickens in it" I was thinking ;what on earth are ;chickens' no way can she mean what I think..! Now I've seen the pic. I know.

Ellie.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

What a clever idea, thanks for sharing.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Paula 14 328 Flag

I would love receiving a gift like this! Phyllis, do you use a special glue to attach the cup and saucer, or just regular household glue like Elmers glue?

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

absolutely great!!! I remember in high school, several decades ago, we would take a china cup and saucer and put "oasis" in it and put cut flowers in an arrangement in them...but this is fabulous!! Cheers!!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Holly 367 1,263 Flag

Very nice to look at!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Phyllis Powell 7 9 Flag

I use a product called Ammazing Goop, All porpose household contact adhesive and sealant. It dries to a waterproof, rubber-like consistency, so it won't break or crack under stress, won't become brittle like super glues.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

Get idea, How do you keep the dirt in the cup from falling out? Where do you find the chicken plant? Never heard of before. Would any other plant work? Thanks for the help. Janet my email is mrse214 AT webtv.net

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

What a great idea -- I'm always looking for clever gifts and this is one clever gift!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Phyllis Powell 7 9 Flag

Janet, these chicken plants take very little water,so the plants themselves hold the dirt in. I have not tried anyother plants, a small ground cover plant might work, you might ask at your local garden store, I get my chicken's from my Mom who has them all over her yard, I also have them in my yard that I have gotten from her, they spread so always have new ones to work with. Hope this helps..

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Paula 14 328 Flag

I have always called these plants Hen and Chicks because the bigger rosette (Hen) always has little baby rosettes (chicks). It is ideal for this craft because it is a drought tolerant, succulent plant that doesn't require a lot of water. It also doesn't require a lot of soil so the little tea cup full of soil is enough for it to survive. I have even had the "Hen" flower, it grows up on a long stalk, but then the Hen dies off and all the chicks start to grow to take its place.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By suzanne 277 750 Flag

beautiful idea.............

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

a Good job / a new idea

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By David M. 1 51 Flag

This is what I have done with the saucer from an old plastic post. When I finished planting my hens and chicks I covered the dirt with a light layer of fish aquarium sand. I water them lightly once every two weeks.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By David M. 1 51 Flag

This is what they look like just a short 2 months later

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Catherine 7 153 Flag

Hello ! The plant name is Sempervivum tectorum. In France it is called Joubarbe meaning Jupiter's barb. It was supposed to protect from thunder (which was Jupiter's attribute) as early as the Greek and Roman times and it was grown on the top of the thatched roofs of the houses. Its flowers are beautiful too and the crushed leaves cure burns and insects stings.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Comment

Tea Cup and Saucer on White Background
Crafts Using Tea Cups and Saucers
Previous
Home and Garden Gardening ContainerJanuary 17, 2007
ThriftyFun on Facebook ThriftyFun on Pinterest Enter a Contest Free Newsletters Ask a Question Share a Post
Geraniums in old wheelbarrow planter.
Making a Wheelbarrow Planter
Recycled wooden chair planter.
Making a Chair Planter
Tea Cup and Saucer on White Background
Crafts Using Tea Cups and Saucers
Crochet top pin cushion, a craft found on Thriftyfun. Submitted by a member.
Making a Tea Cup Pincushion
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 8, 2016 at 11:13:09 PM on 10.0.2.83 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.

NewestOldestMost HelpfulLeast HelpfulRelevance
Site MenuShare a PostContestsAsk a QuestionAbout ThriftyFun
BrowseAll By DateAll GuidesAll QuestionsAll VideosRecent FeedbackLonely Questions
CategoriesBetter LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness & LegalConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood & RecipesGarage SalesHealth & BeautyHolidays & PartiesHome & GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsTravel & RecreationWeddings