Cup and Saucer Planter Gift

This is a quick easy gardening gift you can make up very easily. Get an old cup and saucer, fill it with dirt and plant chickens in it. I glue the cup to the saucer so it will not move, makes a nice gift to someone who is sick, does not take a lot of care to maintain.

By Phyllis from Roseburg, OR

succulents planted in a cup and saucer

About The Author: This is from a previously posted tip:

http://www.thriftyfun.com/tf965726.tip.html

Showing: Comments Sort: Relevance

That looks very pretty,but I had a laugh when I read 'plant chickens in it" I was thinking ;what on earth are ;chickens' no way can she mean what I think..! Now I've seen the pic. I know.

Ellie.

What a clever idea, thanks for sharing.

I would love receiving a gift like this! Phyllis, do you use a special glue to attach the cup and saucer, or just regular household glue like Elmers glue?

absolutely great!!! I remember in high school, several decades ago, we would take a china cup and saucer and put "oasis" in it and put cut flowers in an arrangement in them...but this is fabulous!! Cheers!!

Very nice to look at!

I use a product called Ammazing Goop, All porpose household contact adhesive and sealant. It dries to a waterproof, rubber-like consistency, so it won't break or crack under stress, won't become brittle like super glues.

Get idea, How do you keep the dirt in the cup from falling out? Where do you find the chicken plant? Never heard of before. Would any other plant work? Thanks for the help. Janet my email is mrse214 AT webtv.net

What a great idea -- I'm always looking for clever gifts and this is one clever gift!

Janet, these chicken plants take very little water,so the plants themselves hold the dirt in. I have not tried anyother plants, a small ground cover plant might work, you might ask at your local garden store, I get my chicken's from my Mom who has them all over her yard, I also have them in my yard that I have gotten from her, they spread so always have new ones to work with. Hope this helps..

I have always called these plants Hen and Chicks because the bigger rosette (Hen) always has little baby rosettes (chicks). It is ideal for this craft because it is a drought tolerant, succulent plant that doesn't require a lot of water. It also doesn't require a lot of soil so the little tea cup full of soil is enough for it to survive. I have even had the "Hen" flower, it grows up on a long stalk, but then the Hen dies off and all the chicks start to grow to take its place.

beautiful idea.............

a Good job / a new idea

This is what I have done with the saucer from an old plastic post. When I finished planting my hens and chicks I covered the dirt with a light layer of fish aquarium sand. I water them lightly once every two weeks.

This is what they look like just a short 2 months later

Hello ! The plant name is Sempervivum tectorum. In France it is called Joubarbe meaning Jupiter's barb. It was supposed to protect from thunder (which was Jupiter's attribute) as early as the Greek and Roman times and it was grown on the top of the thatched roofs of the houses. Its flowers are beautiful too and the crushed leaves cure burns and insects stings.

Add your voice! Click below to comment on this post or add your answer to this question. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom.

Tea Cup and Saucer on White Background
Crafts Using Tea Cups and Saucers
Home and Garden Gardening ContainerJanuary 17, 2007
Geraniums in old wheelbarrow planter.
Making a Wheelbarrow Planter
Tea Cup Bird Feeder
Making a Tea Cup Bird Feeder
Recycled wooden chair planter.
Making a Chair Planter
Crochet top pin cushion, a craft found on Thriftyfun. Submitted by a member.
Making a Tea Cup Pincushion
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on June 26, 2016 at 11:10:06 PM on 10.0.1.245 in 430 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.