Advice for Dealing With Eczema

I am looking for good advice for eczema.

By Marcy from TX

Years ago a woman I worked with suffered horribly from this and I suggested she use either Vaseline (can be generic) or bag balm on it; she tried it and was ecstatic! said both she and her parents had spent incredible sums of $ on it and nothing worked as well as just Vaseline!

I have had break outs of psoriasis, simply used bag balm on it, and it has gone away in a matter of days.

Good luck! (Please try JR ligget's shampoo bar, and other chemical free soaps, and lotions) This will help tremendously!

If you are so inclined to do so, you can find simple and easy make it yourself shampoo bar recipes on line, as well as soap recipes minus chemicals.

My doctor suggested 12% Amlactin Lotion that can be purchased in any pharmacy. It is usually in with all the skin creams and lotions in the cosmetic section. It is very inexpensive compared to all the other stuff and works better than any other cream for moisturizing your skin and handling eczema.

My son had chemo when he was 2 & got eczema on his face really bad & other places on his body. We had to take him to a dermatologist, who told us that after a bath, use shortning on his skin like lotion while his skin is still damp. Shortning is a vegetable base that will soak into the skin to help moisturize it & also holds moisture in. Stuff like vaseline & baby oil is petrolium based(what's left after making the oil you put in your car!) that doesn't absorb into the skin. I've read that a lot of models use shortning as a cheap moisturize. Also, the Dr. said not to use soap every time we bathed him because soap is harsh on your skin.

Eczema can also be caused by allergies. Dr prescribed a lotion that didn't help at all. Did some research and found out about the allergies. When I decreased the whole wheat products I was eating it went away completely and quickly. I only get it back when I eat whole wheat products. Check the list of foods that cause allergies, there are a lot of them. Good Luck.

There are different types of eczema that are caused by different things and respond differently to treatments. I have two types: one is an allergy to metals. I break out if I wear anything that has metal in it (buttons, snaps, jewelry, etc.), the other is caused by an allergy to milk/dairy. Any type of lotion, ointments, or moisturizers, etc., makes mine much worse.

My cousin used Crisco shortening on his eczema. I believe his was partially caused by a cat allergy. However, it worked.

A dear friend suffers from eczema over his entire body. Quite a few years ago someone told him to use Neutrogena shampoo all over his body. My friend did so and within two weeks of everyday use (and using it as a body wash) the rash disappeared. Mind you, whenever there is a flare up this has to be done. Also, my friend used a generic brand and it worked just as well.

Hand with eczema rash
Remedies for Eczema
Health & Beauty AdviceSeptember 14, 2010
Girl looking at a pregnancy test.
Dealing With an Unexpected Pregnancy
Master gardener in a greenhouse.
Get Gardening Advice From a Master Gardener
Tomatoes growing with blossom end rot.
Blossom End Rot on Vegetables
IRS Audit
Dealing With an IRS Audit
🎉
🎄