Share Crafts

John Deer Mower Won't Stay Running

I have a John Deere 1500 series lawn mower. I can get it to start but as soon as I start the blades it cuts off. Does anyone know why? I have already checked to see if there is something caught in the blades.

By jenniferneal0927

Recent AnswersAnswer this Question

By Myrna 16 1,070 05/26/2009

My husband's guess is the PTO switch has a short in it. You may need to replace the switch.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By Deanj 917 05/26/2009

There are a lot of safety switches. For example when my John Deere is running and I get off the seat the mower automatically stops. I would check to make sure all the saftey connections are connected.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By jean 14 05/29/2009

My husbands guess is to check to make sure the belts are on the pulleys...ot , as the previous person said, the PTO switch.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By jim 15 3 04/02/2010

Usually there' a bad safety switch causing the problem. These are usually gray in color and look like a push button. Like the one you can easily see under the seat. Also a bad PTO switch will do this. There even a safety switch attached to the transmission on a JD tractor! See the loose wire?

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No