Lawn Mower Won't Stay Running

Category Lawn Mowers
Problems with the spark, fuel or air intake can cause problems with your mower. This guide is about lawn mower won't stay running.

My riding mower, a Poulan Pro 96025000400, keeps cutting off. If it's the carburetor how do I blow it out?

Answers

There is a thumb adjustment on the carburetor. You have to turn it to adjust.

The last time you used your mower did you empty the gas tank? If you left gas in the tank this is very bad for riding mowers. There is a gunk or build up in the tank that passes to your carburetor. When this happens the carburetor clogs. You need to check you gas lines, clean your gas tank, and check and clean your carburetor.

Here is a step by step guide on your repair:

https://www.fam  uretor/view-all/

Your Poulan engine may not be the same as the ones you see in the videos and so fixing may not be the same.

Have you tried using carburetor cleaner or starter fluid (in short bursts)? Sometimes that will work and save having to go further.

You might want to contact Poulan (your local dealer's service/parts might be able to help you). I think they have a lot of videos on repairing their products.
Here is a link in case you want to contact them.

http://www.poul  port/contact-us/

https://www.rep  arts-then-stalls

Here is link for a manual just in case you no longer have yours.

http://www.poul  /owners-manuals/

I have a John Deere 1500 series lawn mower. I can get it to start but as soon as I start the blades it cuts off. Does anyone know why? I have already checked to see if there is something caught in the blades.

By jennifer Neal

Answers

My husband's guess is the PTO switch has a short in it. You may need to replace the switch.

There are a lot of safety switches. For example when my John Deere is running and I get off the seat the mower automatically stops. I would check to make sure all the saftey connections are connected.

My husbands guess is to check to make sure the belts are on the pulleys...ot , as the previous person said, the PTO switch.

Usually there' a bad safety switch causing the problem. These are usually gray in color and look like a push button.

Like the one you can easily see under the seat. Also a bad PTO switch will do this. There even a safety switch attached to the transmission on a JD tractor! See the loose wire?

My riding lawn mower will not stay running unless I keep the choke on.

By Robin

Answers

The pto seems to drag the engine to stop

Change air filter and gas filter

I have a Stanley riding lawnmower with a Tecumseh engine. The new fuel pump is pumping, and electrical is also working. As long as I'm sprayin starting fluid in breather the engine runs, but will not run when I stop the starting fluid.

Answers

It sounds like you have an issue with your carburetor. I'm not sure all carburetors are the same on all mowers. But there are two excellent videos that teach you how to fix your carburetor.

https://www.you  ch?v=I15-nXkueXo
https://www.you  ch?v=Dq-EKfAjvLU

My Craftsman GT 5000, model number 917276040, has a 25 hp Kohler V Twin. It will only start and run at low throtle with full choke. At first, it would not start. I drained the fuel and used lots of carb cleaner as well.
Ideas anyone?

Answers

Anonymous

When I went through my mower (JD L111) what I found was the vented gas cap was plugged, I took a safety pin, cleared the tiny holes on top of the cap and on the rubber on the other side of the cap. This solved my problem.

My 13.5hp, 38in Yard Machine mower runs till it gets warm then shuts off. It won't start back till it cools down. Any ideas why?

Answers

When a mower heats up the metal expands. When it is cold the metal contracts. You have an issue in the engine and when it is hot the motor is expanding and shutting off.

You could have an issue in the engine block and you should take this into the shop and have it looked at. A crack in the block can cause this to happen.

I have a 16hp 42in John Deere riding mower; it will start and run fine until I engage the blades. What's the problem? It runs great then when I engage the blades it dies. Any solution?

By Brandon from Indianapolis, IN

Answers

It may be the seat switch. Sit on the seat before engaging blades. If that fails, look for a connector under the seat. Unplug it, test, short it, test. You may end up with the safety feature defeated, so always turn off the blades before getting off the mower.

I have a Poulan pro riding lawnmower; it turns off after it has been running for 5 to 10 minutes. What could it be?

By JJ from Bancroff, LA

Answers

That sounds like a problem with the fuel line where it gets hot and a vaccumn forms. If you wait for 5 to 10 min. does it start up again? If so that is the problem. Wether it is or not you'll need to take it to a mechanic.

I have a Murray riding mower. It will not stay started. I put gas in the carburetor and it starts and then cuts off.

By Kevin

Answers

Not only check for water in your gas can, but you may have gotten a bad batch of gas when you filled up your can (this just happened to us this past weekend). Somehow water got in our gas can, but when you have warm days and very cool nights, water condenses in your mower tank and gas can.

Keep 'Dry Gas' on hand for all your gas engines, especially for the spring and fall months. My husband spent 2 whole days getting water out of the John Deere riding mower we had because it just 'shut off' a few days ago. Water was in the fuel line, tank, filter, AND ended up in the oil because somehow on this engine L105, there's a line that runs to the oil from the gas--don't ask me why.

We weren't sure what the problem was, but we certainly had to get all the water out of there. A trip to town to get more gas, a trip to town for new spark plug, gas filter, air filter, another trip to get an oil filter and an oil filter wrench because ours broke; the process of elimination with simple things....before taking it to be repaired. It worked. It WAS water in the gas.

My mower went through 3 batteries last season. If you have a charge it will stay running, but as soon as you take the battery charger off, it shuts off in like 30 seconds. It doesn't act like it has anything to do with the gas. It is like a bad alternator, but they don't have one.

By J.P. from central, PA

I have a Poulan riding lawn mower and it keeps shutting off after about three seconds. What is the problem?

By Stephen from Suffolk, VA

I have a 14.5hp Briggs and Stratton mower. It starts and runs, but then it stops.

By Joe

My 19 hp Craftsman lawn tractor runs for a while and then will quit and act like it is overheating. After I let it sit for a few hours it will start up again. Any ideas?

By Richard O. from Rutland, VT

I have a 18 horse power Pro, it runs good when the blades aren't engaged. However, the motor dies out when the blades are engaged.

By Luann from TN