Cleaning Your Teeth At Home

Some years back I missed a few dental appointments in a row. When I finally went back, I had plenty of tarter and plaque built up on my bottom teeth.

After the cleaning and examine, I came home and had a good look at my teeth, I noticed the bottom ones now had the plaque and tarter stains in between them, although the girl did a good cleaning and polishing.

I thought about it for a minute then got out some Q tips and baking soda. Wet the Q tip, stuck it in the baking soda and rubbed up and down firmly but gently, you may have to do it over and over again because it doesn't take much for the baking soda to dissolve and break down.

You can't press down too hard and you have to keep dipping the Q tip, but I got rid of every stain.

By Susan from Millwood

Best Answer

I used to have terrible problems with plaque and had to have dental cleanings every four months but started using 'Plax anti-plaque' mouthwash a couple of years ago (I buy it at Walgreens).

I also paid the cost for an 'electric' Braun toothbrush and it definitely does a more thorough job than I was able to do with a manual toothbrush. It also lets you know when you've brushed for two minutes.

I now only really need to go to the dentist once a year for cleaning and exam instead of three times a year and have saved a good chunk of change, not to mention my teeth.

I floss with a product called POH and I use a water pik from Wal Mart every day. When I go for a teeth cleaning the hygienist never fines any plaque. I used to go every 6 months but because there is almost nothing to clean I go once a year now. Also I don't smoke which causes a lot of plaque and tarter to build up and I use Arm and Hammer toothpaste

I'm going with what the dental assistant said. My boyfriend messed around with his soft teeth and didn't take care of them. He avoided so much expensive dental work. Now he is 44 and wearing a full set of dentures. Isn't that great that he avoided all that cost?

I'm getting suspicious of all the root canals being done these days. I recently went to a new dentist and when I walked in the office, I heard a woman in his office yelping of pain. I asked the receptionist what she was having and the receptionist said, 'a root canal.' A girl in the waiting room said, 'I'm waiting to have a root canal also.' At that point, I said, 'I don't feel like having a root canal today' and I left and decided to find another dentist. I don't mind fillings at all. I am not fond of going to the dentist as it is, so I don't want to have any root canals. With all the fluoride these days, it shouldn't be too hard to keep your teeth good by brushing, flossing, etc. and seeing a dentist once a year.

Root canals cause a permanent infection in your body, as they can't be completely sterilized. Linked to cancer. Avoid them; have the tooth pulled or replaced with an implant. And do everything you can to avoid needing them with daily, thorough care.

I think they also go overboard on fillings.

I had a tooth that was hurting me all of a sudden. I don't have any insurance so I signed up for a discount card. I went to the dentist and it cost me $70 for x-rays and t he visit. The dentist wants to pull the tooth and put in an implant the same day. well, that would cost over $700! Of course since I have the discount card he needs ALL the money upfront. All I wanted him to do is pull the tooth. Well he doesn't want to do that. Pulling it would only cost me another $70. He put me on an antibiotic and the tooth isn't bothering me too much anymore. I am going to just wait and then if it bothers me again I will find a low cost clinic or someplace else to go. And I am going to stop payment on my discount card which doesn't seem like much of a discount to me anyways.

I see people talking about a root canal like it is the worst thing you can have done. I don't understand this. I have had several root canals, done by a specialist, that have been no problem at all.

Close up of a man with a bright white smile holding a toothbrush
Cleaning Your Teeth At Home
Health & Beauty AdviceAugust 21, 2008
Woman Grinding teeth and massaging jazz.
Teeth Grinding Treatment
Flipper Teeth
Buying Flipper Teeth Kits
Woman Flossing
Flossing Your Teeth
Woman brushing her teeth.
Cleaning Your Teeth With Baking Soda
🎉
🎄