Homemade Pierogies

This is the pierogi recipe I use and I hope you enjoy them! So much better and cheaper than the store brand. Great way to use up leftover mashed potatoes.

Ingredients

Dough:

• 2 cups flour
  • 1 tsp salt
  • salt and pepper
  • water to form dough

Filling:

• 2 cups prepared mashed potatoes
  • 1/2 cup cheese, shredded (I use cheddar)

Directions

Mix dough ingredients adding water until dough is manageable, but not sticky. Roll out dough on floured surface about 1/4 inch or so thick. Cut in circles with biscuit cutter or floured glass. Mix filling ingredients and place a tsp. of filling in center of each circle. Fold pierogi in half like a half moon and press edges with a fork to seal. Meanwhile boil a large pot of water. Drop pierogies in water until they rise to the top, then drain. Pan fry in butter until golden, if desired.

Note: you can also saute shredded cabbage with a little onion and a dash of sugar until golden and use that as a filling. Yummy!

Source: a long line of Polish foodies :)

By joynchocolate

YUM, My Mennonite grandmother used to make Pierogies using cottage cheese and eggs. Lots of protein in there and they were huge. She served them with a sour cream and butter sauce. AhI loved them.

I make mine in large batches, par boil, let them cool, then I wrap in wax paper and ziplock. Freeze them! Last a long time in freezer and defrost when you boil them. We also pan fry and serve with onions and brown gravy. Or onions and butter depending on how traditional we feel like being. The filling is only limited to your imagination. Sauerkraut and pot cheese (aka farmers cheese) is a family favorite.

This is my mother's recipe. We're polish through and through and the dry cottage cheese filling is our favorite. I make the filling one day and make and assemble the pierogi the next day. It's pretty much an all day project.

Sophie's Pierogi

Dough

4 cups all-purpose flour

2 tsp. salt

2 Tbs. butter/margarine

3 whole eggs

1-1/3 cups water (to be added gradually for desired consistency)

Filling:

1-1/2 containers (16 oz.) DRY cottage cheese (can be purchased at Stanley's market on Stickney Ave. or sometimes Sautter's)

2 Tbs. sugar

4 egg yolks

1 medium onion diced and sauteed in butter

1.5 tsp. salt

Mix well until creamy

Mix the flour, salt and butter/margarine till crumbly. Starting with 1 cup of water, mix dough till no longer sticky, but not real stiff either. Do not knead. Roll dough out into a circle to about 1/4" thickness. Using a round cookie cutter (about 3" - 4" round) . Place about 1 heaping teaspoon of cheese filling on 1/2 of each circle (bottom half), then fold over and crimp with a fork.

Place Pierogi (a few at a time) into a kettle of boiling water and boil until they come to the top of the surface, about 8 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain well. At this point, piorogi may be frozen.

If you are going to freeze them, coat them with a little melted butter/margarine and separate layers with waxed paper.

When ready to eat, fry them in butter/margarine until golden brown. Enjoy!

Thank you for posting a pierogy recipe that is easy to make. I used to make piergogies with my Mom, sister, and Grandma. I love them boiled, then pan fried with onions, and served with sour cream. We used to make a lot of these with cheese during Lent. Now, I can make them for my growing family.

Food and Recipes Recipes InternationalAugust 21, 2009
Photo of homemade orange jello.
Homemade Jello (Gelatin) Recipes
Homemade Moisturizer in a jar near a fern leaf
Homemade Moisturizer Recipes
Chex Mix
Homemade Chex Mix Recipes
liquid laundry soap
Homemade Liquid Laundry Detergent Recipes
🎄