Krautburgers (German Hot Pocket)
February 12, 2020
Read More Comments
I grew up in northern Colorado among many people of German descent. This was a popular dish served at my school cafeteria. Krautburgers are a traditional food eaten by people of German Russian descent. Germans who had emigrated to Russia from Germany and then, at the turn of the 20th century, emigrated to Colorado's sugar beet fields are the inventors of this German "hot pocket." Working hard all day in the fields meant lunch was eaten on the job, and the humble Krautburger wrapped up all the necessary food groups to keep a worker on his or her feet. It has become a family favorite!
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 90 minutes
Yield: 12 to 15
- 2 3/4 cup lukewarm water
- 1/3 cup oil
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1 Tbsp salt
- 2 Tbsp yeast
- 7-8 1/2 cup flour
- 1 lb ground beef
- 3 cups shredded raw cabbage
- 1/2 medium onion, chopped
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 1/2 cup water
- Make the dough for the krautbergers as follows: Mix yeast, salt, oil, honey, and water in mixer. Mix for 30 seconds. Add flour gradually until dough mixture does not cling to side of bowl.
- Set timer for eight minutes and knead dough. While the dough is "kneading" prepare meat filling.
- Crumble ground beef and fry with chopped onions and cabbage. Add salt and pepper. Add water and bring to a boil. After it comes to a boil, reduce to simmer and cook for 20 minutes until most of the liquid is evaporated.
- Place dough on oiled pastry mat. Pinch off fistful of dough and roll into a square.
- Add two tablespoons meat filling and pull dough up to center, pinching in the middle to seal filling inside. Turn seam side down onto silicone lined or greased baking sheet.
- Let rise for 20 minutes. Bake at 375 F degrees for about 30 minutes. Serves 8.
- Bake for 25 minutes at 350 F.
3 More Solutions
Share on ThriftyFunThis page contains the following solutions. Have something to add? Please share your solution!
Silver Post Medal for All Time! 390 Posts
March 31, 2014
This was featured on the Food Network, Guy's Diners, Drive ins and Dives. Lauer-Krauts is a restaurant in my home town, Brighton, CO!Read More...
Diamond Post Medal for All Time! 5,887 Posts
July 23, 2012
Not fond of sauerkraut, but recently found this recipe and I do like these. Very good sandwiches!Read More...
Published by ThriftyFun.
© 1997-2022 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved.