Browse   Newsletters   Contests   Ask   Share   Account   About

Hamburger Jerky Recipe

I saw an idea in here from about a year ago about how it was cheaper to make beef jerky from hamburger but there were no directions. Can anyone help?

By

Best Answers

These answers have been rated the best for this question.

By Diane (Guest Post)06/01/2007

Hi We make hamburger Jerky all the time. Here is an awesome recipe, I think you will like.

4 Lbs. hamburger
4 Tsp. curing salt
2 Tsp. pepper
2 Tbsp. mustard seed
3/4 C. soy sauce
1/2 Tsp. onion powder
1/2 Tsp. garlic powder
1 1/2 Tsp. Tabasco sauce
2 Tbsp. Beefer Upper or Jerry's Au Jus Sauce
3/4/ Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce

Mix daily for 3 days then either use a jerky gun or Line large Jelly Roll Pans with Waxed paper, Fill pans with jerky mixture and place in freezer till slightly firm. Remove from pan, pull off wax paper and slice into strips and place in dehydrator. We keep in our dehydrator for about 2 days. Time will vary on what kind of dehydrator you have. Hope you like this! would love to hear!

By Al12/01/2004

http://WWW.NESCO.COM - Jerky kit & spices - or
Head down to your local WalMart and in the department where they sell kitchen housewares look for the American Harvest Jerky Works Kit. They also sell the Original Flavor seasoning packs.

If you decide to try to make your own seasoning from scratch The aforementioned seasonings measure out at 1 Lb hamburger, 3-4 Tb seasoning, and 1 Tb cure.

The cure is a mix of salt and sodium nitrite. The nitrite is used for curing meat. If you cannot find it locally, go to http://WWW.MORTONSALT.COM. They also have a good recipe for pepperoni flavored hamburger jerky!

15 year old twin boys - I do 3 lbs of 90% lean hamburger jerky per week! It yields about 1.5 lbs of jerky. Three large cookie sheets with the jerky on cookie cooling racks, 170 degrees for about 6 - 7 hours and you have a pretty good product. I understand that the new dehydrators (with a fan and temp setting) work well.

Good luck!

By Ron. (Guest Post)10/07/2008

I see that some of you folks use a pump gun for spreading your jerky. Where can I buy a pump gun?

Thanks

By Bill (Guest Post)07/11/2008

NESCO's prices for the little packets of spice and cure are outrageous! And recently they've started charging sales tax also - - Their 25 packet is $20.00 plus shipping plus tax brings the price to more than a dollar per pk. Best thing is to get some salt cure and use bottled flavors like Teriyaki or your favorite BBQ sauce. Two tsp. of salt cure to two lbs of hamburger and approximately 1/4 cup of your favorite sauce. Use a pump gun for spreading into your dehydrator and dry on high for about four to five hours,

By Karen Lawrence [1]11/29/2004

I don't have a recipe to make beef jerky with hamburger from scratch, but we buy a mix (it's in a box usually by the meat counter - can't recall the name). You just mix it with hambuger, flatten it out, cut in strips and dry in a dehydrator (can use oven). When it's done you really don't know the difference from regular beef jerky. I prefer it.