Shiny Spot on Table

I have a matte finish coffee table and I used a baking powder paste to remove spots (unknown) and it removed them. I think it also removed the matte finish because now the spots are shiny. Any quick fixes other than refinishing the table?

By Jay from Buffalo, NY

Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

Super blush retarder by mohawk works like magic. I had shiny spots on my table and this completely took them away. I sprayed it on the entire table and the table is perfect now.

Answer

I rubbed a baking soda paste on some spots on my matte finish coffee table and now the spots are shiny. I'm afraid I rubbed off the matte finish. Is there any way to fix it?

By Jay from Buffalo, NY

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I had a round dark stain from a glass on a cherry dining room table. I used toothpaste and baking soda to remove the stain, which it did. But now the area that I removed the mark from is shinier than the rest of the table. Any ideas for dulling this spot?

mj245 from Westmont, IL

Answers:

Shiny Spot on Table

Why not just make the rest of the table shiny? (10/25/2007)

By dpcw

Shiny Spot on Table

They make crayons especially for covering spots and scratches on wood, maybe that would help. You can buy them in hardware stores. (10/25/2007)

By perfume and powder

Shiny Spot on Table

Try this: go to your hardware store a get very fine steel wool and pumice powder. Follow the instructions on the pumice box and VERY GENTLY rub a small amount of the pumice powder in with the steel wool. Then, gently brush off the powder. My dad was a cabinet maker and he taught me this trick many years ago. The trick is to use a very light touch, and try it in a spot that's not too visible first. (10/25/2007)

By sheilamay

Shiny Spot on Table

Try doing the whole table make it all shiny like new it will not hurt the table. (11/10/2007)

By LD

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Home and Garden Cleaning FurnitureAugust 30, 2010
shopping for cleaners
Buying Energine Cleaner
Shiny Pink Fabric
Making Fabric Less Shiny
Ironing Polyester
Removing Shiny Iron Marks on Polyester Clothing
White changing table with drawers below.
Uses for a Baby Changing Table
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on May 25, 2016 at 8:07:20 AM on 10.0.0.225 in 340 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.