Buying a Secondhand Laptop

Since living frugally is the trend now a days due to economic recession around the world, I would like to ask about the second hand laptops sold at Ebay. What is a good price to pay for one? Thank you.

I just read an article on and the writer advised never to buy a second hand desktop or laptop computer.

There are lots of ways of saving money, but purchase a new laptop.

I would hate to see you get burned on eBay.

I've been using a desktop computer I bought for $25 for about 2 years now. It had a minor problem a few months back that cost me under $100 to fix. I see nothing wrong with buying used. It sure saved me alot of money and is lasting a long time (knocking on wood here).

I've heard that mini laptops, called netbooks, are like the new wave of laptops, but they are less expensive, smaller, have not as big operating systems, but are perfect for certain groups of people who don't need as much. I've seen netbooks listed for around $250-$300. I'd be leary about purchasing a laptop on eBay, so if a netbook sounds like it'd fit you, I'd check into it.

I for one have purchased many items on EBAY including laptops and desktops. You must know as much as going into Best Buy, etc for what you want.

Ebay purchasing--check the feedback, if you don't know anything about EBAY, find an ebay store or someone in your friendships who do. Either way you purchase you can't be stupid.

There are many times RETURNS are put on ebay, college students at the end of the year/semester is the best time as they are graduating, etc. They want to move on their school stuff to different needs. I have spent as little as $200 for a complete desktop unit. $150 for laptop. I know how to add my own things such as more power, memory. Check with a computer repair place, they take in computers the same way when people update.

When I update, I call friends who do not have computers (yes, there are) and see who wants my last one. And I have contacted small private or religious schools who have taken them too.

You need to learn to maintain your computers, open them up, clean them off, air in the can is good. I have Barbie attachements for the vacuum which we use for alot.

Either way you buy, you must be savy to get your money's worth.

I, would not but a secondhand laptop computer personally. Because I have came out with some bad merchandise in the past. But If you must buy used go to the pawn shop they give 30 days warranties on them. I don't think you will get a warranty on Ebay. You also can shop with HP. They have computer that are refurbished and they give warranty.

If you really need a laptop and you don't have money you can try to buy second hand laptop. Be sure to check the packages as well as the terms and condition if you are going to buy the laptop. If there is a 7 days replacement, change item or anything that will satisfy you. You can also try to look at this site and compare them to those you have search.

Check out the Freecycle Network ( and see if there is a group in your area.

New, or even 2nd hand laptops are well out of my range, so I put a request for an old one, "maybe something to old to sell" is what I posted. I got a ten year old Toshiba Satellite. It runs Linux just fine, and can handle most Microsoft formats, such as Word .doc, Excel .xls, and so on.

The laptop I am writing this with, is a also about ten years old - it was a corporate throw-away. Again running Linux. And no, you do not have to be a geek/nerd to use Linux these days. In many many cases, such as installing (free) software, it is even easier!

Black laptop on a white background.
Buying a Laptop
Computers BuyingJanuary 29, 2009
Tea spilling on a laptop computer keyboard.
Protect Your Laptop From Spills
Laptop bag made from several pairs of jeans with a crocheted handle.
Making a Laptop Bag from Jeans
Cleaning a Laptop Keyboard, Photo of a laptop keyboard.
Laptop Computer Tips and Tricks
Young woman at a dorm room desk using a laptop
Buying a Laptop for a College Student