Sour Dough Starter is Runny

My Sour Dough Starter has a very thin, runny consistency. Is that the way it should be? I thought it would be thicker. Is there anything I can do to save it?

Janet from Niagara

Go to this site. It has lot of info. Hope this helps. Good luck.

I don't think anything is wrong with it. I have had some blow up the bag (yeasty) and others do nothing, but they all taste the same in the end.

Sometimes when your flour/water ratio is off, it is easy to have runny starter. Weighing your water and flour can help. I add a little rye flour to help thicken it up when mine gets on the liquidy side. Your starter is working just fine as long as it bubbles and makes you smile when you take a whiff of it.

I currently have two different starters going and one is much thinner than the other, but they both have that same yeasty sour smell and the breads come out fine with both so unless yours smells bad, I think it would be just fine.

sourdough starter
Sourdough Starter Recipes
Food and Recipes Food Tips Food FixesFebruary 13, 2009
A yeast free cheese pizza.
No Yeast Pizza Dough Recipes
Mashed potatoes with melting butter on top.
Fixing Runny Mashed Potatoes
Remedies for a Runny Nose
Remedies for a Runny Nose
fresh delicious sour cream
Homemade Sour Cream Recipes