Recipes Using Red Delicious Apples

Red delicious is an American apple with a mildly sweet flavor. This page contains recipes using red delicious apples.

January 11, 2006 Flag

I have several large Red Delicious apples left over from a fruit basket fundraiser my husband purchased at work. Most apple recipes ask for tart apples. Can I substitute the sweet apples for the tart or are there any websites that have recipes for Red Delicious apples? Thanks for any suggestions!

Michele from Aliquippa, PA

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I clicked on here, wanting to see others answers to yours, LOL. What my Daddy always did with the apples in his work's fruit baskets, were to chop them up & mix with some sliced oranges, sliced bananas, some orange juice, some coconut, some chopped nuts, add some grapes cut in 1/2. It's a Fresh Fruit Salad. Great accompliment to any meal!! If nothing else, cut up apples, dip in lemon juice to keep from browning, and serve with a dollop of peanut butter. Or serve with cottage cheese. Or cut them up on your green salad, toss on a sprinkle of raisins & chopped nuts. Make apple bread. The possibilities are endless!

A quick and easy recipe I came across is to chop up some apples, chop up a snicker's bar or two and mix in a container of cool whip

You can use them for baking (pies, cakes etc.) . I just dont add as much sugar..

Hi Michele! I used to live in Aliquippa in the mid-seventies, when I went to school in Pittsburgh.

I have friends who swear that you must use a certain type of apples for pies, desserts, etc, but I think that's a lot of bunk. Certain types may make the best pies, desserts, etc, but feel free to use anything you have.

I had lots of red delicious apples that were getting old too fast, so I just made a large Knobby Apple Cake (a real old fashioned recipe) and an apple-cranberry crisp last week. Both were great, and even if they weren't the "right" type of apple, were far tastier than any store bought items. I cut back on the sugar, not because of the type of apples, but because I always do. Old fashioned baked apples and apple dumplings are good too. Yes, you can use them in just about any recipe.

Food and Recipes Recipes FruitFebruary 28, 2012
Pile of green apples.
Selecting Good Apples
A pile of dried apple slices.
Drying Apples
A pile of apple slices.
Freezing Apples
Glass of Red Wine Spilled on Carpet
Removing Red Wine Stains from Carpet