Washington State Red Delicious Apple

Category Fruit
This is a guide about Washington state Red Delicious apple. Whether you love Red Delicious apples or have never tried one, you may enjoy reading about the origin of this yummy apple!

If my memory serves me correctly (it seldom does these days), I read that Stark Nurseries held a competition around 1891 at the county fair for the best apple. The 'Hawkeye' apple, as it was called by a contestant, Jesse Hiatt, was entered. We almost didn't get that apple.

Stark wanted that apple desperately. But, the name tag of the entrant was lost. Stark held a competition again the following year, hoping the apple would be re-entered. Sure enough, the apple was entered again. It is reported that Stark Nurseries paid Hiatt $20,000 for rights to the apple.

Stark propagated and bred the yellow striped apple. It is from this apple we now have Stark's Red Delicious/Red Delicious apples.

As I mentioned in another article, all Red delicious apples do not taste the same. A smaller cultivar grown in Washington state, in my opinion, is the absolute best. I've never found one yet to be less than crisp, bright, and delicious.

Well, people, I went grocery shopping today. And yes, the Washington state Red Delicious apples are in! As much as I like the Gala, it can't hold a candle to Red Delicious. And what's more, the Red Delicious is usually the cheapest apple in the bins.

My thanks to the Washington state growers and to a man who really knew his apples, Jesse Hiatt.

Not an apple buff? Try this Washington state grown apple. You just might change your mind.

Haha nice ending photo! I like to use RD for my applesauce.

They are one of my favorites. They also work well in my Fried Apples recipe posted 9-11-2004.

Here you go.

www.thriftyfun.com/Fried-Apples-1.html

Those apples are pretty expensive here in my country that we only buy them on occasions.