Do I have Diabetes?

I went to the doctor yesterday because I have been feeling lightheaded and my vision feels blurry. She checked my blood sugar and it was 132 and said it was pretty high. I had eaten pizza a couple hours before my appointment and she said it is possible that the pizza caused my levels to go up. She wants me to come back in if I still feel these symptoms. Anyone have Diabetes or any thoughts? It freaks me out a bit. I am 27 and not overweight (overweight is a big symptom, sometimes).

TexasTeacher

NOT AT ALL>

132 is not especially high 2 hours after a meal.

You need to do a fasting blood sugar. ie before you eat breakfast. You can drink water. Ask your doctor to do one since she has caused you concern.

How was your blood pressure? That's the first thing I think of when you say lightheadedness and blurred vision. Did your doctor do a complete blood workup and a neurological check? He or she should have at a minimum. How old are you? Are you overweight? Do you smoke?

If you are any of these , or if your bloodwork shows elevated readings for blood sugar, blood pressure, etc, you could be at risk of stroke,

blood clot, etc.

Certainly your doctor would advise you on this. That's why I'm not sure why you would ask in this forum rather than ask your doctor the same question. Did you go to a clinic or your regular physician?

Your symtoms...duration, frequency, etc. may be completely harmless but they are bothersome enough that you had it checked out..which is good.

You should have a complete blood panel run, including a fasting blood sugar. There is no way to tell after having eaten a meal that is high carbohydrate.

Check with your doctor about any questions you may have. It doesn't sound like diabetes to me from the information you have given. Let us know!

Missy

i agree with misssy. you need to have those tests done before getting worried. my sugar level runs about 95 to 105. i am overweight and dad was diabetic. you need to have the fassting blood sugar. then if you start feeling bad again, go to the drs office and have them just test your sugar and your blood pressure. in fact i frequently recommend to our patients that they purchase a digital bp unit and take the blood pressure same time every day. write it down always. take it to the dr even if you dont have an appointment the office staff can put it in your chart and have the dr. look at it.

dont put off having those tests.

I have diabetes and I do not like my after meals blood glucose to be higher than 120-130. Only a doctor can tell you if you have diabetes. You need to go back, have a fasting blood test done and also request that an A1c test be done. The A1c test will tell you what your blood glucose has been running for the past 2-3 months.

Hi..no I am not overweight and my blood pressure was fine when they checked it. I am scheduled this week to get the Glucose test done. Wish me luck! Hopefully it is nothing serious.

Two other symptoms of diabetes that I know of are unquenchable thirst and unexplained weight loss. With what you have said, my guess is that you could control it with diet if it turns out to be diabetes. But as others have suggested, get more information from your doctor and have a fasting blood sugar. Ask what your blood pressure was, or check it at one of those machines at Walmart or other pharmacies. If that doesn't explain your symptoms and they continue, go see an ophthalmologist (not an optometrist.)

Have the doc run an A1c test. This indicates your blood sugars as an average for the last 3 months. It's not necessary to be fasting for the test.

TexasTeacher, I was diagnosed 2 years ago with Diabetes 2. My blood sugars now run around 100-115 and i have been able to reverse my Diabetes with Diet and Exercise. I take no medications and i do count the amount of carbohydrates i can have in a day. Also i have to watch my calories.I am allowed 12 servings of carbs a day and 1500 calories. Does Diabetes run in your family, as it can be heridetary. That is what i was told. Mamo

Pizza seems to make my blood sugar go sky high. I'm Diabetic. Exercise is the best way to get your blood sugar to go back down and you can control it so that you don't have to take medication.

Diabetes is not a death sentence! It is VERY manageable and does not require huge sacrifices or liefstyle changes for most people. Hopefully you don't have diabetes -- but if you do, it's not something to freak out over -- just something to be taken seriously. Please do follow up with your doctor and let us know what the diagnosis is.

My sister and I were comparing our levels for different types of blood work that our doctors gave us on the same day. We do not live in same area. We discovered that our ranges for each test were different. We think that is due to the different labs that are used for blood tests. So what reading that I had may had looked high or low according to her reports were actually normal for mine. So I would think that you can't really go by another person's "numbers". You must look at your own ranges of your blood analysis report. Whenever I get any blood work done, I always ask for a copy and then file it for future reference.

Well thankfully my tests came back normal. However I was kind of hoping that it would show something to help figure out why I have been feeling bad. I still feel lightheaded..not as bad lately but I feel like my balance is off and find myself swaying or about to tip over..so strange. Oh well..I am blessed for good results.

i had these same symptoms and asked to be tested for diabetes. Mine all turned out to be sinus related, the sinus` were backing up in my ears and I guess throwing me off balance??? And I was light headed, too. But, if you are fearful it may be diabetes get another test.

Who said only a doctor can tell you if you have diabetes. Purchase a blood glucose monitor (any local pharmacy should have one) and test you're blood, if its 250 or over, you most likely have diabetes. 132 is not a very high reading and is most likely caused from testing right after a meal or from sugar on you're fingers. The most common symptom of high blood sugar is constant thirst; are you constantly thirsty at 132? No, I didn't think so.

Health & Beauty AdviceSeptember 11, 2005
A blister on a leg
Treating Leg Blisters
Diabetic Meal Planning
Diabetic Meal Planning
Strawberry Rhubarb Pie
Diabetic Strawberry Rhubarb Pie
Sugar-Free Candy
Sugar-Free Candy Recipes
🎄