Treating Leg Blisters

A blister on a leg
When diabetes is a health issue, your physician is your best source of advice and treatment. This is a guide about treating leg blisters.

I have blisters on my legs from diabetes. I know I should see my doctor but I don't drive anymore and there is no one available to take me. Is there something I can do at home for them in the meantime?

Thanks

Best Answer

You absolutely have to get them seen to. Diabetes affects the circulation in the limbs and ulcers/sores/blisters can not only lead to poor healing but also infection and blood poisoning and a review of your diabetes medication wouldn't go amiss either.

I do appreciate your dilemna but you need to see a doctor followed by follow up nursing care and advice probably ongoing treatment I doubt it will entail just one visit.

Doctors are used to patients in rural areas or people without transport for whatever reason. So I would ring your doctor and explain everything. No doctor worth their salt is going to let you stay home unattended and they will be better able to help as they will know of organisations which can provide transport in emergencies. I live in the UK do you have the Red Cross in America? Because in the UK the red cross transport patients for medical treatments voluntarily or for a small donation.

Best Answer

I have had this problem and it does need treatment. As one lady suggested, contact your church or any church and explain you need a ride to the doctor. Or you can call the Eldercare Locater, at 1 - 800 - 677 -1116. Anyone in the country can use this number. You explain what help you need and give your zip code and they will locate something near you to help. They will give you number(s) to call. I volunteered for 10 years for an agency in Illinois that helped people find all kinds of help and other things. Also, if you have a senior services agency in your county, you could contact them too. Look up your local Area Agency on Aging. There is all kinds of help available. Good luck and I hope all goes well for you.

Best Answer

Hi Ellen, my husband also lost a leg this way. One of the things that I most regret is, NOT USING HYDROGEN PEROXIDE, this product seems to be the BEST, for home treatment. Then get a really good Diabetes Cream for your feet, the feet dry out because of the veins being blocked, that really is the reason why the feet or legs are amputated. When people take baths, some NEVER DRY BETWEEN the toes & water sets in & rots the skin. If you are over weight, LOSE THAT WEIGHT, it can be deadly. I hope this helps a little, I've BEEN THERE DONE THAT.

BEST WISHES

Best Answer

I have been a Registered Nurse for over 18 yrs - NEVER NEVER NEVER take advice from the internet about Diabetes Wound Care. I can not expres it enough - GO TO THE DOCTOR or you will be calling an ambulance to take you to the Emergency Room when those areas become infected and you have a life-threatening illness called "Sepsis" (an infection in the blood stream often cause by ignoring or mistreatment of other wounds).

DO NOT treat them with anything you see here or anywhere else on the internet. People do mean well but each person is an individual and what may have worked for them may not work for you.

I also suspect that your Blood Sugar is not under control, another reason to get to the doctor.

PLEASE!!! Find a way - the local police department and Fire House will also know of someone in your area that can help you.

You're in my prayers.

For some reason, I keep getting some nasty leg blisters. What is the best treatment for them?

By Sandy

Best Answer

Do you have trouble with edema? Have you went to a doctor? My sister has lots of trouble with edema in her legs, and several years ago she had leg ulcers, that she was positive weren't because they didn't look like what a lady she knew had diagnosed as leg ulcers. My sister was also too stubborn to go to a doctor because she had to find somebody to take her or else ride her electric scooter, four blocks. Anyway they kept getting worse, and oozing, finally she ended up in one hospital near her home town for a few days and they couldn't get them under control, so they made arrangements for an ambulance to take her to a hospital in the largest city in our state, and she was there for a month.

The ulcers were so infected a person could smell it way down the hall from her room. There was awhile the doctors thought she would lose at least one leg, and maybe both. The infection was finally brought under control, and there was awhile that she was on some kind of pill that was $1,000 a month. Every now and then she will get the start of an ulcer and she gets it tended to right away. After she went home from the hospital she had to have a nurse come to her home and do skin abrasion like they do on burn victims. She said that was so painful she cried when it was being done.

Best Answer

Try using some petroleum jelly and wrap them. My Dad has a very small one that is being treated by his Hospice nurse. She used the petroleum strips and wrapped it in gauze. I've found the petroleum jelly works really well for lots of stuff and is very cheap! I use it on my feet and elbows, really makes the skin soft, but has lots of good healing properties too. Hope this helps you.

Best Answer

I also had leg blisters. They were diagnosed as Cellulitis. They were infected, sore, horrible looking. I was sent to the Wound Clinic where the Dr. had the nurse wrap my leg with a salve on the bandage. I went home and started drinking more Aloe Juice which I'd been drinking. I was drinking 16 oz a night.

A week later, I went back to the Dr. who was amazed, said he could not believe my leg "healed" in a week as his patients come for a year. The blisters, infection, pain has never returned as long as I drink Aloe Juice. I buy it in the pharmacy section, $6.99, a gallon, at Publix grocery store. It is also available at Wal-Mart for $7.99. It is very healthy for your body. My sister says it clears arteries. That makes sense as it cleared the infection out of my leg in a week.