How Many Ounces in a Can of Hershey's Chocolate Syrup?

Does anyone know how many ounces are in a can of Hershey's chocolate syrup? I want to make the brownie recipe, but I have the larger bottle and need the comparable measurement. Thanks.

By Shirlee from TX

Showing: Answers Sort: Relevance

Isn't the ounces printed on the label?

They used to come in 16 oz cans and also smaller ones but the 16 oz was the standard I believe. I haven't see it in cans at the store for a while now. Just the squeeze.

I took a peek online and many brownie recipes called for the 16 oz can. This one is from the Hershey site and calls for 1 1/2 cups syrup which equals a 16 oz can.

http://www.hersheys.com/recipes/rec ... l.asp?id=3676&page=1&per=860

Kaelle, 1 cup is 8 ounces, so 1 1/2 is 12 ounces.

Well working in the restaurant industry, I can tell you right now that hershey is wrong. Unless math has changed since I left school 1 1/2 cups is not 16 ounces. 1 1/2 cups IS 12 ounces. 16 ounces is a pint, and 2 cups equal 1 pint.

To clarify: what I stated is from the Hershey site:

* One 16-oz. can HERSHEY'S Syrup contains 1-1/2 cups syrup.

In this case I believe the 16 oz measurement is by WEIGHT, not by 'liquid volume'.

>>> Weight:

The two most commonly used units of weight (or mass) measurement for cooking in the U.S. are the ounce and the pound. Do not confuse the ounce of weight with the fluid ounce, because they are not the same; there is no standard conversion between weight and volume unless you know the density of the ingredient. http://www.goodcooking.com/conversions/liq_dry.htm

If you look at the picture of the can below you will see that the 16 oz is NET WT, not fluid oz.

http://www.amazon.com/Hersheys-Syrup-Chocolate-16-Pack/dp/B00330TKMS/

If you are still unsure about what amount to use you could call the Hershey toll-free number on Monday.

1-800-468-1714 (Mon-Fri 9 am - 4 pm ET)

According to what is printed on my measuring cup, 1 cup equals 8 fluid ounces,1 1/2 cups equal 12 fliud ounces and 2 cups equal 16 fluid ounces.

I believe the ounces on the can would be the weight of the can and the product inside the the can.

Go to the store and look on the can.

I looked at the can: 16 oz. Enjoy the brownies!

Answer

A stack of brownies with nuts.
Homemade Brownie Recipes
Food and Recipes Food TipsFebruary 28, 2010
Homemade Strawberry Syrup on Pancakes
Homemade Syrup Recipes
Chocolate Syrup Pouring onto Plate
Hershey's Chocolate Syrup Recipes
Uncooked Macaroni
Converting Dry Macaroni Measurements
A mouse made from two Hershey's Kisses.
Making Hershey's Kiss Mice
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on May 16, 2016 at 5:00:39 AM on 10.0.1.126 in 332 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.