Determining the Value of Collectibles for Estate Sale

I am preparing a home for an estate sale and I'm finding lots of items that are vintage and/or collectibles. I'm having trouble finding values for these items. They range from angels, to suitcases, to cameras, to keys. I can't find anything like them on typical internet sites. How can I find their value without spending a fortune for appraisals?

By Sharhen from Neosho, MO

Have you tried looking on ebay for similiar items? I get ideas on pricing from there.

You can also try

Agree with the poster who mentioned Kovels as a good research source; the problem with Ruby Lane is that you're getting generally higher retail markup figures. In other words, you'll find a lot of items with bloated pricing. If you research through eBay, keep in mind that generally, things will sell on eBay for only about 33% of what they'd go for in a brick-and-mortar store.

Also resellers, eBayers and antique dealers usually flock to these estate sales looking for a deal; you don't want to overprice--but you certainly don't want to under price, either.

Google, Google, Google. It may be a pain if time is at a premium for you, but researching as much as you can in as many places online as you can will work in your favor.

Example: you have a doodad that your neighbor says looks very valuable; you search it and see it selling in various places for $50, $100, $45, $80. Average it out and price it just a couple of dollars over to take "haggling" into consideration.

The average price for the imaginary item above is $68.75. I'd price it for $80 and take $70 for it if someone wants to haggle. Hope this helps a little.

Antiques and Collectibles
Finding the Value for Antiques and Collectibles
Consumer Advice Collectibles MiscellaneousSeptember 27, 2009
Antique China Doll
Determining the Value of Antique China Dolls
Furniture Being Sold at Estate Sale
Having an Estate Sale
real estate agent
Selecting a Real Estate Agent
Determining the Value of Silver Jewelry
Determining the Value of Silver Jewelry