AdviceHealth & Beauty

How do you know when you are low on potassium?

Glinda from Glendale, KY

The first thing I notice is my legs cramping. Many times I will wake up in the middle of the night with a very painful cramp in my leg(s). Kinda feels like a "Charlie Horse" on steroids! *laugh* Hope this helps you some.

The best way to find out if you are low on potassium is to get a blood test at you doctors office. Potassium is vital as it does effect your musles and the biggest musle you have is your heart. So be safe and check it out. Barb

I was short of breath just walking across the room. I had diarrhea all day and then constipation the rest of the week. The doctor took one look at me and gave me potassium pills to take for a week until he could get my blood test back. It does cramp muscles even your colon and stomach. That's what happened to me.

When my mother had low potassium she always said she felt funny, sort of like impending doom. I then called her dr & she went to the lab & had her blook drawn & checked for the potassium level. Sure enough, it was low. This especially can happen when one is on a diuretic as the main thing a diuretic does is help you deplete extra sodium. And any time you lose sodium the potassium sort of piggybacks on to it. Hopefully those on diuretics have been forewarned to take potassium in the form of food such as banana, dates, etc.