Economical Way to Get Rid of Fleas

I have 3 cats, one of which is a kitten, and my house is infested with fleas horribly. How can I get rid of these annoying things and get my babies flea free? Please help.

By Liz from Buffalo, NY

First, treat your pets. Check with your vet, but Frontline or Advantage seem to work for most people. It's not dirt cheap, but it's worth it in the long run. Next, treat the environment-the yard and the house. Here's a great website that tells you everything you need to know about do-it-yourself outdoor flea control. It's It was incredibly helpful for us when we found ourselves in similar circumstances. Borax Laundry Booster is great for indoors and is cheap. But it takes a little time to get rid of all fleas, eggs and larvae. Check the threads for that.

You sprinkle it on carpets and upholstery, then cover with sheets and towels. Leave on for 2 or 3 weeks if you can stand it, washing the towels and sheets every couple of days as the flea eggs will fall off your pets. If you can't stand 3 weeks, just make sure you vacuum every single day for 3 weeks, until all eggs have hatched from your carpet, then seal up the bag and throw it away each day. Some suggest cutting up flea collars and putting that in your bag, but I haven't tried it. Might work and save money on bags. I know it's miserable, and unfortunately you will have to spend some money, but it is possible to get rid of the little demons! Good luck!

I have tried every spot treatment and pill that is out there and treated our home. It helped but we still have fleas. I am thinking we will just have to live with them.

Getting Rid of Fleas in Bedding. Upclose photo of a flea.
Getting Rid of Fleas
Pets Dogs AdviceSeptember 13, 2010
A wall with fleas in it.
Fleas Inside of Walls
My Dog is Infested With Fleas
My Dog is Infested With Fleas
Man scratching his head.
Getting Rid of Fleas in Human Hair
Getting Rid of Fleas in Bedding