Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Feeding a Baby Lamb

If for some reason you find yourself having to care for a young lamb there are ways to help the baby eat and thrive. This is a guide about feeding a baby lamb.

February 21, 2011 Flag

I need help please. I have a 1 day old baby lamb that I am bottle feeding and it doesn't want to eat. It only takes a couple sips at a time. What do I do? Help.

By Linda

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I used to bottle feed both baby goats and lambs. I was told to feed them goats milk because of the high fat content. Also to get the baby to drink it, you might try putting something sweet on the nipple, I believe that's what I did when they weren't cooperative. I would also basically force it on them. I saved several babies that would have just laid down and died on their own, I had to force some of them to eat. It's hard and time consuming, but to me, it's the humane thing to do. Good luck!

If you have problems, please call your local Large animal veterinarian for any advice. Good luck.

I think that its the temperature of the milk is the key test it on the inside of your wrist after you have warmed it up, if you can't feel it it is the right temperature. Try mixing powdered milk 1cup to 2 cups of water keep in the fridge till needed. Did you get a lamb teat? they are a bit longer and thinner than goats teats good luck keep trying it may just be tired sometimes they don't drink straight away. Also put some in a bowl it may drink that way, I some times just dip my finger in the milk and get it sucking that way. Try ringing someone in the area that might help.

February 21, 2011 Flag

We have a male lamb that was rejected by the mother. We forced her to feed both her lambs for the first 6 or so hours, but she was not producing enough milk for both her lambs. So we have been bottle feeding the rejected lamb with cow's homogenized milk. I have just read online that the last thing you should feed a baby lamb is cow's milk. Is this true?

By Pete from Ontario, Canada

Answers:

Feeding a Baby Lamb

Goat milk is best for them, good luck. (03/22/2010)

By kffrmw88

Feeding a Baby Lamb

Call your local 4H club or large animal vet for their advice. When my Dane mother didn't feed her litter my vet told me to use goat's milk which I was able to get canned. Good luck on that! (03/22/2010)

By tahloolabelle

Feeding a Baby Lamb

I've raised both baby goats and lambs. I always started them out on goat's milk. Fresh is best, but if you can't find it they sell it in the grocery store. It's very high in fat. I always started them on that and then after several weeks gradually switched them to whole cow's milk. They all did fine on it. They need a lot of fat. That's why I gave them goats milk because it is so high in fat. Hope this helps. (03/23/2010)

By crystalmitchell

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

March 21, 2010 Flag

I have a baby lamb whose mother died from unknown causes. The baby lamb is not feeding from the teat bought from Stock feeders. What can I do to save him?

Jennifer from Forrestdale, WA

Answers:

Feeding a Baby Lamb

Put something tasty on the nipple just to get him started sucking, like corn syrup or dip in into a tiny bit of sugar. (11/11/2008)

By Cyinda

Feeding a Baby Lamb

We raised a baby goat on a human baby bottle one time. Might try that, also get some one to hold the lamb so he can't move around. Put in nipple in his mouth and using your fingers cupped around it's mouth work the mouth up and down. Be gentle, it might take a few minutes. Once they get the hang of it they will take the nipple on their own. (11/12/2008)

By Cindy in TX

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

November 11, 2008 Flag

We have a baby lamb who, at 48 hours, has not had its mother's milk. It is drinking baby formula with iron and raw eggs out of a bottle being squeezed into its mouth, and has been having a regular out-put. Does anyone have a formula recipe or advice on caring for this baby? We have been told that it will not live because of missing the mother's colostrum.

Vernon from Indiana

Answers:

Feeding a Baby Lamb

Go to a feed store, or if you have a TSC in your area, they sell something with colostrum in it. My sister had to buy it one time when a cow died. Anyone in a feed store can help you. The sooner you get it in them, the better. (05/07/2008)

By Cindy in Texas

Feeding a Baby Lamb

I used to raise goats, try using goats milk. Ask your local feed store if they know anyone that you can get it from. I would just take a plastic pop bottle and buy a nipple from the feed store, then it will learn how to suckle.

Good luck. (05/07/2008)

By diana1117

Feeding a Baby Lamb

Please, whenever in doubt about animal care, ask your vet. Often a phone call is all it takes. It takes a while for answers to be posted on this site, and that might be too late. (05/07/2008)

By Linda

Feeding a Baby Lamb

The lamb can live being just bottle fed. My cousins did it years ago. The only problem they had, is after being bottle fed in the house he wanted to keep coming in the house.
I think it is like with human babies, mother's milk is best but bottle fed is okay. I do think a call to the vet would be a good idea. In nature, babies often have to be raised by human hands, when the mother can't or won't feed the baby. I think love is a bigger factor. I will be praying for you. (05/08/2008)

By SunshineRose

Feeding a Baby Lamb

My wife is raising a lamb with a baby bottle and goats milk. She is doing great. It's definitely working well for her. (05/15/2008)

By cj12765

Feeding a Baby Lamb

I have raised hundreds of baby kids and lambs. Goats milk is best, I don't add any egg. Have it at blood temperature and feed from a babies bottle to start. You may have to make the hole in the teat a little larger. I try to cover the lambs eyes with my hand to start, they are less distracted by everything around them and start to think about the milk more.
Sometimes the lamb is abandoned by its mum because there is something wrong with it. These lambs often have no desire to suckle and nothing you can do will save them.
Just persist with the goats milk in a bottle, that's your best bet. Good luck! (06/05/2008)

By Steph

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

May 5, 2008 Flag

Thank you to all who helped with my bunny with a scab on his back. It proved to be simply healed with some Betadine and Mercurochrome. My next question is an SOS. We found a little lamb on the farm that had been turned out by her Mom. She is one of twins and was obviously the weaker of the two. She was about a week old, hypothermic and at death's door.

We brought her in, warmed her up and virtually brought her back to life. We fed her with a syringe - this was a week ago. Now, at just over 2 weeks old, we still cannot get her to suck. We have put her milk into a squeeze bottle and literally squeezed the milk into her mouth and she then swallows it. Do I put the teat in the side of her mouth? She will not take it in from the front of her mouth. How do I get her to suck? I am feeding her the special formula for lambs. She has also had a runny nose. I was told to inject her with Penicillin every second day, 3 times. It is still a little runny. Thank you to anyone who is able to advise me.

Carolyn from South Africa

Answers:

Feeding a Baby Lamb

When we raised goats, I often found that some babies would drink from a bottle, but some would drink only from a cup.

You might try putting the milk into a tall-sided container to see if your baby likes it better that way. WE successfully reared several abandoned ones, but sometimes not. (09/07/2006)

By Nancy from MO

Feeding a Baby Lamb

We had a calf with the same problem,we had to force feed her she would not suck.We went ot the vet and he gave us a shot to give her to make her hungry.You would not have believed how fast it worked.She ate like she was starving.I don't remember what it was ,but you could call and ask if they had anything like it.Hope this helps. (09/07/2006)

By Jan

Feeding a Baby Lamb I NEED HELP!!!!!

What should I do.... I have just recently got a lamb and its mother died and she tries to eat the bottle... and only wants to eat creep feed shes only 2 weeks old. (04/13/2007)

By Sam

Feeding a Baby Lamb

Rub under her throat and neck with the bottle in her mouth, it helps infants suck that way. (01/05/2008)

By daisy

Feeding a Baby Lamb

I have a lamb and her milk does not come out. so what should I do if I have two baby lambs and don't know how to bottle feed them? Wat do I put in the milk? How do I mix it? (03/08/2008)

By Wendy

Feeding a Baby Lamb

You do not need to put the bottle any certain way. I go straight from the front .I do hold the chin to the bottle a little. If she does not suck you may have to continue the method of forcefeeding. When she is 3 weeks old she will start to chew things she should be getting her teeth about now and you can offer a it of a mixed grain. She may nibble on it also make sure there is water around for her to go to. (04/17/2008)

By Barbara S.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Pets Large Animals LambsJune 22, 2013
Baby Bottle Feeding
Bottle Feeding Your Baby
A plate of lamb chops and carrots.
Lamb Recipes
Decorations and food on a table at a baby shower.
Baby Shower Ideas
People attending a baby shower.
Saving Money on a Baby Shower
👒
🐰
You are viewing the desktop version of this page: View Mobile Site.
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on March 24, 2017 at 5:28:34 PM on 10.0.2.135 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.