Squirrels Dug Up and Ate Sunflower Seeds

The day before yesterday I planted over 50 sunflower seeds against our fence post in the back yard. Later that day and the next morning I noticed a squirrel over by the fence. I checked and do you know he dug up and ate all of my sunflower seeds all down the row of the fence. They were all cracked open and just laying there.

My mom said, because we have them on hand to stake some disposable red plates just around the line of the seeds when I plant them until they sprout.

Will this work? Any suggestions will help, because of course I want to plant more, but not for the squirrel to eat. Do they watch you do this or do they actually smell the seeds underground? Help.

By Laura from Ocala, FL

After you plant the seed put some hot pepper sauce on top of the soil,also hang some foil near them, keep the soil damp, keep a watch for them. I keep 2 cans near the door outside, when I see critters near my garden I beat the cans together, they run away. I also keep some twillers (looks like windmills)in my garden. They go around when the wind is blowing, good luck.

Go to a hardware store and buy some chicken wire. Spread the wire over the area that has the seeds. Anchor the wire with some rocks. When the plants start to grow remove the wire.

I had the same problem last year, the squirrels kept eating them and I kept replanting. Then I used the chicken wire and anchored it with tent stakes. I shaped it into arches so the plants could get a little growth before I removed it. It's hard to tell but they are about 3 inches here. With some of the wire arches I bent the ends down and others I put big rocks on the end to keep the squirrels out. They will try their best to get in so you have to make sure it is secure.

When squirrels ravaged my seeds and plants, I put cat hair in and on the ground, and attached some to the plants. It kept the squirrels away for a good while.

Dang squirrels! I have had the same problems! I planted 75 Gladiola bulbs and every one was dug up and eaten! My 75.00 market umbrella eaten, the 200 and something dollar gazebo on my deck had a skylight eaten out of the center! Tablecloth eaten! My Mom told me to do the chicken wire for the gladiolas & I think I remember hearing about sprinkling cayenne pepper? The damage that was done last year drove me to the point of trapping and relocating! In 2 months we relocated 21 of the little buggers! I am also told you have to go at least 10 miles away or they will come back!

Sprinkling cayenne pepper over the area should deter them. That has worked for me in all but one circumstance. That was a little pot of cactus plants on my front porch, and even though they often hurt themselves enough to bleed, even cayenne pepper didn't deter them enough to keep them from going back to dig, and get hurt again! LOL Try the cayenne pepper, and remember to re-apply if it rains, or if you water, and also after some days have passed. The squirrels will still go after them, even after they've sprouted, so don't stop too soon!

Just have to add a funny story to this. Several years ago we were feeding the birds and along came a chipmunk and stole all of the sunflower seeds from the bird seed. Lo and behold about two weeks later I had all these sprouts coming up in my garden all over the place. At first couldn't figure out what was growing in my garden since I hadn't planted anything new. Apparently the chipmunk buried all of the sunflower seeds he collected in my garden. I had the most wonderful sunflowers that year.

To keep squirrels away from your seedlings and bulbs other than cayenne pepper, sprinkle unused ground coffee all around the plants, when you cut your hair take the hair that has been cut off and sprinkle it around the exterior of your garden. This will keep most animals out. And finally, soak rags in white vinegar and hang around the exterior of the garden even when the vinegar dries on the rags it still repels the animals. I have tried all of these and they all work and haven't had a problem since. :) Happy Gardening.

Does this work well with stopping birds from eating from blueberry bushes?

I put a pot with just soil in it and they haven't touched the other pots with plants in it.They just seem to dig in the pot with the soil.It has only been a week so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

RAT POISON!!

Try powered Cayenne Pepper and the put in some wooden spikes(shih ka bob type) upside down with the points up. They don't like the pepper, and the spikes stop them from getting into the soil without getting poked.

Brown squirrel eating
Keeping Squirrels from Digging in Plants
Home and Garden Gardening SeedsMarch 16, 2010
Closeup of Gray Squirrel
Keeping Squirrels Out of Fruit Trees
sunflower oil and seeds
Uses for Sunflower Oil
Squirrel Eating From Bird Feeder
Keeping Squirrels Away (Deterring Squirrels)
Sunflowers
Harvesting Sunflower Seeds
🎄