Using Up Ripe Bananas

How long are extra ripe bananas good to use? I have some very black ones and want to use them in banana bread.

By Carol from Dyer, IN

Best Answer

If my bananas are "too ripe" to eat. I put them whole in a freezer bag and thaw as needed. The only way I would throw away a banana is if I forget to freeze them and they are oozing out of their skin. I've also never had a problem using them once they are frozen, banana bread, banana oatmeal pancakes, cookies.

I do the same thing...I slice and freeze them for making a chocolate-banana smoothie. I make mine with chocolate soy milk and honey.

Overripe bananas also make good banana bread!

Thanks for this great idea. I always have bananas that turn brown too soon for me to eat but now I will not waste money by throwing them away.

I freeze mine too. But I use them later for banana bread. Also, if they are still not overly ripe, I freeze them then cut in half. Stick a popsicle stick in cut end then dip in melted chocolate and roll in nuts. These are a great treat for kids and they love them. Better than ice cream.

But I love your idea too. I'm going to try it. Thanks

Addition. I forgot to tell you its great to dip in carob if you have anybody who likes that better.

Sometimes I just buy extra bananas to do this with.

I put ripe bananas in blender and freeze them in amounts needed for bread or cake. I add chopped nuts to them in the bag, if I happen to have them so when I bake my bread, I have the nuts I need.

I do the same, only I eat the frozen banana pieces like they are little popsicles. Good in hot So. California.

Great minds think alike! ha This is such an easy thing to do, and there is no waste to the bananas. Kids just won't eat them when they get over ripe.

To freeze the over-ripe bananas, I mash them with a potato masher. Put the mashed banana in a zip-lock freezer bag, squeeze all the air out, and place in freezer. By freezing them one banana at a time, they are easily used for what-ever recipe. Some call for 3 bananas, some for more. So there are always enough bananas to make banana bread or muffins.

I put them right into the freezer as is, whole banana with the skin on. I take them out as needed and they defrost quickly on the kitchen counter.

I toss them in the freezer then when I have time, I make batches of banana nut bread. My family loves them. They may look ugly, but they sure taste good.

If you only have one soft banana and are making a cake throw it in the batter. You don't always taste it but you know you haven't wasted the banana. You can even put it in chocolate cake batter.

I freeze them and use them in future smoothies. ;-)

Don't forget that your bananas stay good longer if you keep them in a bag. I also like to make banana toast with them. Make extra, freeze, then microwave and add syrup for a quick breakfast.

July 26, 2011 Flag

There are several things you can do with ripe bananas.

Freeze banana puree when ripe bananas are on sale. Puree them in a blender or food processor. Put a sandwich bag inside a one-cup size container and fill with the puree. It will turn a darker color but this in no way changes the taste.

Cram bags in bread pans or other containers and freeze. This will eliminate sharp pointed corners on frozen bags. Remove them from containers when frozen and put them in a plastic grocery sack, then back in the freezer to store. They can later be thawed to use for making banana bread.

Frozen pops can also be made with the puree. Fill molds and insert plastic spoons or sticks and freeze. They have a chewy consistency and are a great tasting summer treat.

Banana fruit leather can be made from banana puree if you have a food dehydrator with discs or trays to pour it onto. Spray trays with cooking spray like PAM or smear with a light coating of cooking oil. Pour puree on trays and spread about 1/8 to 3/16 inches thick. It will probably take about four hours to dry. Cut into manageable pieces and wrap in saran wrap. Store at room temperature in a dry place. They keep for many months.

By Judy S. from Valley City, ND

overripe bananas
Using Overripe Bananas
Food and Recipes Food Tips FruitJuly 4, 2010
A bunch of bananas.
Storing Bananas
Dried Bananas
Drying Bananas
Dried Bananas
Recipes Using Dried Bananas
A banana on ice.
Freezing Bananas