Time Saving Tips for Lasagna

Most everyone loves lasagna but it is time consuming. I make mine on the weekends and either freeze or refrigerate until I bake them. I make several at a time. If you have a timer on your oven, then you can pop it in the morning and it will be ready when you get home in the afternoon or evening. Another time saver that I use for lasagna is that I don't cook my noodles. I spread the ricotta right on the noodle then layer with my sauce and cheese. Make sure to leave the lasagna in the refrigerator or freezer at least over night. The noodles will get softened by the moisture in the sauce and ricotta cheese.

By Karen from Green Cove Springs, FL

Yes, I too make my lasagna using the uncooked noodles and just add another jar of sauce and cover with aluminum foil. During the last 15 minutes, I remove the foil and brown the cheese topping just a little. You can also add one large jar of sauce and a smaller jar of sauce instead of diluting with water to cook the noodles.

to tell you the truth I don't use ricotta cheese my hubby is lacotose intolerent. So a friend does it different. First cook the noddles brown your meat and onions or peppers if you like. When meat is brown and drain add your sauce and simmer a little. Spray pan with pam (easy cleaning)spread thin layer of sauce add noddle next add shredded cheese what ever you like add sauce again than add noddles and so on until you run out or pan is full add extra shredded cheese and bake at 350 for about 30mins and enjoy. Hubby like it alot

You can pour milk gently down the sides of the lasagna so that you don't disturb the top layer of sauce, and the pasta will soften as the milk evaporates as the food bakes in the oven. Fresh egg pasta does not need pre-cooking anyway.

I make a skillet lasagna recipe on top of the stove. It can be ready in half an hour. Brown ground beef and onions, add a 28 oz. jar of marinara, 2 cups water, 8 oz. lasagna noodles broken into bite sized pieces (do one noodle at a time for less mess). Cover the pan and cook the lasagna noodles about 18 minutes until tender. When the noodles are done, turn off the heat, stir in ricotta or cottage cheese (about 1 1/2 cups) and mozzarella (1-2 cups). Cover the pan and let the cheeses melt. Top with parmesan if desired.

This simple recipe can be endlessly varied. I make it without meat and use veggies or meal starter (textured vegetable protein, a ground beef substitute).