Question
Browse>Contests>Ask>Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Making Pickles From Cucumbers

My cucumbers have a bitter skin on them. Can I still use them to make pickles?

By Donna from Allentown, PA

Here are the recent answer to this question.

By emmamamie [3]07/22/2010

Don't worry. Most pickling cucumbers are bitter. They are not meant to be eaten fresh. Go ahead and pickle them. They will be great!

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Making Pickles From Cucumbers

For those of you that can and make pickles I have a question. I never seem to be able to harvest enough cucumbers in one day to make a pack of dill pickles. Can I save them up in the fridge until I have enough?

Most recipes seem to call for cucumbers picked that day. Also, does anyone have a really good recipe for "crunchy" dill pickles? Years ago I made some from my aunt's recipe and it seemed like they weren't processed in a water bath like all the recipes I now see, and they were very crunchy. They were soaked in ice water over night.

Thanks in advance for any help anyone may have.

Leanne

RE: Making Pickles From Cucumbers

I make hamburger dill slices and bread and butter pickles every year and I don't have enough cukes for a regular recipe at a time either. I use a pickle mix called Mr. Wage's. What I do is make the brine as directed, put it in the fridge and as I get cukes the size I want I clean them slice them and drop them in the big jar. Every day or so I keep preparing them and drop them in. I use big gallon sized glass jars. I never process these in a water bath, they stay in the fridge all the time till they are used. Later in the year I divide the big jar up into smaller ones (jelly jars, peanut butter, etc), making sure I have brine to cover the slices. Then I make Christmasy cloth lid covers and give them as gifts. Everyone likes the pickles. I have picked real small cukes, about 2 inches long and put them in the brine, too and they all come out good. (07/10/2005)

By suzq

RE: Making Pickles From Cucumbers

Thats funny that suzq said what she said. I have bought cucumbers at the grocery and realized I wouldn't use them. I cleaned them and just put them in the brine from the store bought pickles I already had in the fridge. They have been great. I forgot all about doing that. (07/11/2005)

By sandy

RE: Making Pickles From Cucumbers

I have the recipe that you want. Here it is:

Six pounds medium cucumbers ( each cut in 4 to 8 pieces according to size of cucumbers). Soak in ice water 3 hours, drain. Pack into sterilized jars. Add 6 pickling onions, 1 piece celery and 1 teaspoon mustard seed to each jar.

Solution:

• 3 quarts white vinegar
  • 1 cup salt
  • 3 cups sugar

Bring to boil, pour over cucumbers to within 1/2 inch of top of jar. Process in boiling water bath 10 minutes. This is a very salty sour pickle. Yield: 6 quarts.

Got this out of the Kerr Canning book. Hope it helps. (07/30/2005)

By Sheila

RE: Making Pickles From Cucumbers

For the most part, pickles refer to pickled cucumbers. You can pickle a lot of different vegetables, but normally in the U.S. this is so. If it was other than a cucumber it is usually followed by that vegetable as in "pickled onions" or "pickled beets". So they are the same and are different.

After you soak cucumbers in a brine for a month or so, they change, become preserved and become what we call "pickles". Hope this explains it. Susan from ThriftyFun (08/09/2005)

By ThriftyFun

RE: Making Pickles From Cucumbers

If you aren't going to refrigerate your pickles after they turn into pickles you "must" put them through a boiling water bath. There are two ways to make pickles: fermentation before the boiling water bath, and fermentation after the boiling water bath. I prefer to just go ahead and process them into my mason jars (boiling water bath) and shelve them. (01/23/2006)

By Jeannie

RE: Making Pickles From Cucumbers

Grandma's Dill Pickles

Cucumbers, 3 - 4 inches long are best for pickles. Wash, prick with a fork, and soak overnight, in ice water. Drain and dry thoroughly. Place 2-3 peeled garlic cloves in the bottom, and a generous helping of fresh dill (one or two whole, clean, tall dill, folded to fit) along the side of clean, hot, sterile jars. Pack cucumbers in jars and place more dill on top.

Brine mixture:

• 2 cups vinegar
  • 1 cup pickling salt (do not use regular salt )
  • 10 cups water

Bring to a boil and pour into cucumber filled, sterile jars, while hot. Seal and let stand in a cool, dark place about 6 weeks before opening. Yields sufficient brine for 4 to 5 quarts of cucumbers.

Note: A bushel of cucumbers will yield approximately 48 quarts of pickles. (08/26/2007)

By LadyQ

RE: Making Pickles From Cucumbers

Use pickle juice from other pickles. Put the cucumbers in the jar and then leave for three weeks then they are done. My grandmothers recipe. (07/26/2008)

By Taylor

Archive: Making Pickles From Cucumbers

I planted a bunch of regular cucumbers, not realizing you might need to use only pickling cucumbers for making pickles. Can I use regular cucumbers and just pick them when they are pickle sized?

By jgmai from Canby, OR

RE: Making Pickles From Cucumbers

My mother never planted specific cucumbers for making pickles. All you have to do is pick them when they are the size you want the pickles to be. For some pickles, you slice the cucumbers either cross ways or length ways, and for them it wouldn't matter. (06/30/2009)

By redhatterb

RE: Making Pickles From Cucumbers

Some of mine that I just did were big. I just took some of the seeds. I do Mrs Wage's pickles. They are sweet pickles. (06/30/2009)

By sallysue

RE: Making Pickles From Cucumbers

I have tons of really old pickle recipes that my grandma used to make. Just let me know if you like sweet, spicy, dill, or bread and butter pickles. I also have a recipe for refrigerator pickles that is so easy. They are all to die for. (06/30/2009)

By auntie_lola

Archive: Making Pickles From Cucumbers

Why should cucumbers be soaked in water overnight before making them into pickles?

By Katherine

RE: Making Pickles From Cucumbers

I've never made pickles that the cukes had to be soaked overnight before making the pickles. I have always used the recipes that my mother used. (04/15/2010)

By redhatterb

RE: Making Pickles From Cucumbers

Salt plays many roles in pickling: It enhances the taste by removing raw flavors; deters bacteria; and extracts water from the vegetables, which not only keeps the vegetables crisp, but also keeps the water from seeping out later and diluting the preservative effect of the vinegar. (from: http://www.ou.org/shabbat/recipes/vayigash62.htm) (04/15/2010)

By yoder178

RE: Making Pickles From Cucumbers

I've never heard of soaking them. I've make dills B&Bs, and relishes, but all I did is chop and salt it and let it sit awhile to draw the water out. Then it'll take on more flavor when you make your pickles or whatever. (04/16/2010)

By laura343