Kitten Has Stopped Using Litter Box

My kitten skips using the litter box at night. She poos behind the sofa, not on furniture. What do I do? I tried spraying Keep Off on the furniture and the carpet, but it is not working.

By Tonya from Arnaudville, IA

Best Answer

I had this problem with an adopted grown cat. I read that they have to be "retrained". We put him in a dog crate with his litter box every night for several weeks. He is no longer crated and is using his litter box regularly now ( knock on wood). Good Luck and Be sure to clean the area he soiled with a product designed to remove animal odors.

I have 2 new kittens aged 8 weeks. One uses the litter tray no problem but the other is a law unto himself. I find him sniffing around areas around the house and I recognise the fact he is needing to toilet, so I pick him up and put him in the litter tray and he does use it. But why wont he go there to start with. Why does he insist on trying to do it elsewhere. They are brothers and came from the same household so why is one litter trained and not the other.

Finger pointing at kitten in litter box
Kitten Not Using the Litter Box
Pets CatsAugust 5, 2010
Homemade Cat Litter Box
Homemade Cat Litter Box Ideas
Cat in Litter Box
Cat Not Using the Litter Box
Cat exiting a litter box.
Cat Litter Mat Reviews
Cat Litter
Alternative Uses for Cat Litter
🎄