Rugs on Smooth Floors for Dogs

If you have smooth floor surfaces in your home, (no wax, laminates, glazed tile, hardwood) and an aging dog, please consider whether they would appreciate carpet runners to create safe pathways for them to get from place to place. Weakness, arthritis, and other infirmities that are a natural part of the aging process can make traveling across smooth floors uncomfortable or even frightening for dogs. This also goes for dogs with knee problems, hip dysplasia, and other joint issues or weaknesses.

Carpet runners with a rubberized backing are best, as they won't slip. Try one, and see how your dog reacts. Chances are, he or she will love it!

By Jill from PA

Our house has carpeted stairs that go down onto a Pergo floor. As our Newfoundland aged he would have trouble getting his footing as he stepped down off the stairs. We found that a non-skid rug at the bottom of the stairs worked great!

I have Pergo throughout the house and use the non-skid carpet runners so that my Golden Retriever, Harley, can get from room to room. This is especially helpful when she comes in and her feet are wet and more apt to slip.

I just posted in the wrong place so here it is in the correct place. I rescue senior Golden retrievers, I use rubber shelf lining by the roll or rubber mats for inside the bathtub under my rugs. In our house we think our rugs have rugs,Right now I have two ten year olds & an 11 year old golden.All do well with my backing under rugs.

This is a great idea. It helped our aging dogs when we put in tile. They really need the help for traction. Also if they tend to jump up on furniture they need the traction so place a non-slip run in front of the sofa or chair and it is just as important when they jump down off of the furniture (and bed) because of the impact to their shoulder joints. We want to keep them from hurting themselves.

An old english sheep dog sitting on its owners lap.
Caring for a Senior Dog
Pets HealthMay 23, 2011
Red Chair on Hardwood Floor
Keeping Furniture from Sliding on Hardwood Floors
Someone mopping hardwood floors
Cleaning Hardwood Floors
Throw Rug
Cleaning Throw Rugs
Downward photo of an area rug in a lobby
Cleaning Area Rugs
🎄