Clothing WashersAppliances

Older Kenmore Washer Does Not Agitate or Spin

My Kenmore washer (probably 15 years old) has suddenly stopped agitating and spinning. It fills with water, sits there without agitating during the wash cycle, pumps the water out, but does not spin. So, the timer is fine and the pump is fine. Any ideas?

By Carolina from SC

Could be the transmission/gears. I'd say it's time to part with your machine. I had a GE, which the store told me was a mid range machine when I bought it and could expect 10 yrs from it. I wore it to death, died at 10 years, bought another, wore it out with 2-3 loads a day for 10 years, and feel I got my money's worth and then some.

Fifteen years is pretty good. I would only expect it to go longer if I were elderly and hardly used it for it's entire lifespan.

My washer, also 10 years old, quit agitating. I called the repair man in our town, who took about 15 minutes and one small part to fix it. I doubt that you need a new machine. My repair bill was about $100 and worth every penny. Call a repair service. This is apparently a very common problem, as my service guy diagnosed the problem over the phone, has specialized little hand made tools for the job, and had the thing fixed in a jiffy. Even if you need a new motor, it is still cheaper than a new machine.