Overwintering Mint Grown in Containers

I want to grow mint in a container outdoors above ground, but I'm concerned about winter storage. There is no room in the apartment, will it winter in a shed with protection? If so, what steps can be taken?

By Susan from Winooski, VT

Possibly. Maybe nestle the pot in a bin of straw or rags for extra insulation?

Do you have room for a 4-inch pot on the windowsill this winter? Mint is very easy to root. I'd suggest you hold a cutting over inside the first winter as backup till you know if the shed storage will be sufficient.

It's been my experience you can't kill mint. That's why I keep mine in a container too. It just takes on a life of it's own and look out!

snow in flower pot
Preparing Container Plants for Winter
Home and Garden Gardening HerbsMay 23, 2010
Vanilla Ice Cream With Mint on Top
Recipes Using Mint
Mint Brownies
Mint Brownie Recipes
Canning Mint Sauce
Canning Mint Sauce
A pine tree in a pot.
Overwintering Potted Evergreens