Using a Crayon Drawing as an Iron On Transfer

Is there any way to use a picture colored with crayons as an iron on transfer for say an apron or t-shirt

Belinda from Wingo, KY

Best Answer

I don't know about using a page of something colored. I do know you can use the cheapest crayons you can buy and have perfect fabric crayons at a much lower price. Just color your own design on the apron and iron it with a sheet of plain paper between iron and fabric. if it is going to be washed often iron it with a sheet on cut rite wax paper over it. This can even be bleached. Remember to use cheap wax crayons the crayola crayons do not work.

Best Answer

There are crayons that are specifically for making iron on transfer. Just go over the drawing with the crayons. These can be found in the sewing section at JoAnn Fabrics or the craft section at Wal-Mart. They are really easy to use. Hope this helps.

Best Answer

I have done this lots of times by having the kids draw on fine sandpaper with any crayons-remember that any pic drawn will be reversed when used as a transfer so any words need to be written backwards if you want them to read right. Don't know what the reason for the sandpaper is. Make sure the crayon is drawn thickly, and wash separately the first few times.

If the drawing is dark enough, yes -- you can turn the paper upside down and iron it onto the fabric (use a slightly damp cloth between the iron and the paper) I don't know how indelible the transfer would be however.

A better alternative would be to use fabric crayons -- they are oil based and found at art supply stores.

If it were me I would scan the picture and then print it out on iron-on paper made for putting photos on T-shirts and other craft items.

Thanks so much for your responses. My grandson will be moving soon and he and I like to do little craft projects together when he visits me so I wanted to make a T-shirt or an apron for him so that every time he wears it he'll think of his Nan. He's 6 and loves to craft and help in the kitchen so I thought this would make a wonderful memory for him. I LOVE this site so much!

Yeah, but what is that called? Thanks.