Browsing: Crafts Using Neckties

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Crafts Using Neckties

Neckties are a popular, colorful crafting supply. They can be used in making new clothing, quilts, purses, and other projects. Use the ones you have around the house that are no longer fashionable or check out the thrift store for a new supply. This is a guide about crafts using neckties.

A Christmas wreath made from neckties.
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

November 17, 2011 Flag

Raid your husband's closet for silk ties he no longer wears and create beautiful silk rose pins from them. You can also purchase them for $1.00 each at Goodwill. Wear them on a blazer, pin on a tote bag or purse, or use to embellish a pillow. The possibilities are endless!

Approximate Time: About 30 minutes

Instructions:

Tie Rose Pin step 1

1. Beginning at the narrow end of the tie, begin rolling it up, adding a drop of hot glue as you roll. You will want to roll it up about 10-12 inches (that's where the ruler comes in) to create the center of the rose. Tie Rose Pin step 2

2. Then begin twisting the tie, applying a little glue about every 1.5 inches, and forming it around the center. Your rose will begin to take shape. Tie Rose Pin step 3

3. Once the flower appears to be the size you want it, trim off the excess leaving about 2 inches to fold to the back. This creates a nice, smooth backing. Tie Rose Pin step 4

4. Glue down the portion that is folded back, then glue on your pin back. I have also used the entire tie to create a larger flower which I pinned on a pillow (see photo). As you can see, I left the pointed end sticking out from it.

By Rachel's Mom from Wilkesboro, NC Finished Tie Rose Pin 1 Finished Tie Rose Pin 2 Tie Rose Pin on Pillow

February 4, 2008 Flag

I am looking for a pattern to use my Dad's ties. If any one can help please let me know.

Lee from Paragould, Ar

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I saw a chair once, like a ladder back chair with the seat part weaved out of neck ties. All of the chairs in this coffee house were different, so it fit in very well.

Martha Stewart had a special on using silk ties to dye eggs for Easter. The larger end of the tie can be used to make a holder for your cell phone, even to wear around your neck fashionably.

Read More Answers...

December 6, 2011 Flag

A family member recently died and left quite a few men's neckties behind. We are looking for a craft or something that can be made from them for his four children. (Please don't suggest the necktie skirts, that idea didn't fly). Maybe something like a picture frame, wreath, or something to hang. Any ideas? This would be for an adult male and 3 older teen girls.

By April from Plattsburg, MO

I posted a craft on Thrifty Fun showing how to make silk tie rose pins from men's ties. Here's the link and a photo: http://www.thriftyfun.com/tf77898661.tip.html

There is a really cool necktie wreath that someone posted here about three years ago and it doesn't need to be used simply for Christmas or only to hang on the front door. I can't find the instructions for it now but I know it's somewhere in the ThriftyFun archives. Maybe someone else remembers it and knows how to find it? Contact ThriftyFun through their contact button and they should know how to find the original instruction link for it.

Read More Answers...

August 22, 2011 Flag

I have a collection of old ties and would like new ideas for using them in sewing or quilting projects.

By Kathy E.

You can make cool wind socks or use as belt ties. Hope this helps.

Grandmothers Fan quilting pattern lends itself nicely to the use of ties, also dresdan plate. I recently saw where ties were used to cover the shade of a bedside lamp and it looked lovely. I myself am going to try making wind socks with some ties I have collected with a christmas and halloween theme.

Read More Answers...

September 16, 2012 Flag

I was wondering if you wash the men's ties before cutting and sewing them together? If so, do you use hot or cool water and do you put them in the dryer? What other process would you go through before cutting them into strips or what ever design you choose?

By Carol F. from Mesa, AZ

I make tie skirts from ties that people give me, and ties that I buy in thrift stores. Since I don't know how clean they are, I hand wash them in detergent and warm water by soaking them in small batches for a half hour in a basin, then rinsing until the water is clear.

I usually fill the basin for rinsing and empty it about 3 times. Then I take the dripping wet ties and finger smooth them and drape them over something where they can drip and air dry. The horizontal grab bar in my tub works well for this. When dry, I press with a press cloth if needed, then sew. Most of the time, the weight of the water pulls then smooth enough, especially if there is polyester in the fabric. Have completed 12 skirts to date, some to wear and some for gifts. Hope this helps.

Always check the fiber content of the tie; some are silk some polyester, etc. wash in cold if possible and line dry. some fabrics may stretch when washed. Good luck!

Read More Answers...

July 7, 2005 Flag
Teri Clark0 found this helpful

Snake Wrapped on BedpostIf you have an adult male in your home, you are bound to have a huge array of ties. And if it is anything like at my house, I'll bet that many of those ties go unworn year after year! Don't let those old ties go to waste - instead, create a quick, easy, and adorable snake for your child's stuffed animal collection!

Materials:

Tools:

Instructions:

The body of the snake is first:

1. Unbend the wire coat hanger so that you have a long, relatively straight piece of wire. You may need to clip off the hooked end of the coat hanger if you can't get it undone.
  2. Lay the tie on a table, face down. You will see that the tie is hollow. Start pushing fiberfill into the hollow of the tie starting at the wide end.
  3. As you get more fiberfill into the tie, you will need to push it down to the other end using the straightened out coat hanger. Be sure to fill the entire tie with fiberfill.
  4. Once the entire tie is filled, thread the coat hanger into the tie. This will allow your snake to be twisted and posed.
  5. Now it is time to create the head and the tail:

6. The wide end of the tie has a lining. Pull the lining away from the tie and stuff this area with fiberfill.
  7. Using your needle and thread, sew the lining edges together so that no fiberfill can leak out.
  8. Repeat STEPS 5 and 6 on the small end of the tie to create a tail.
  9. Using the hot glue gun, glue on two googlie eyes.
  10. Cut your pipe cleaner in half. You will only need one of the halves.
  11. Bend the pipe cleaner half in the middle.
  12. Using the hot glue gun, glue the pipe cleaner on the point of the head to create a tongue.
  13. Once the hot glue is dry, you can coil your snake! My daughter coils hers around her bedpost and it is a great conversation starter when she has friends sleep over!

Sneaky Snake (Made With Men's Ties)

Additional Ideas: Add dried beans to the tail instead of fiberfill to create a "rattle" snake!

© 2005 ThriftyFun

June 9, 2012 Flag

What can I make or do with lots of men's ties that I have?

By GL Langston

Many years ago one of my aunts made a gorgeous quilt out of a bunch of husband's ties. she used the basic shape of the tie and after she sewed them together she hand feather stitched around them, then she used red satin for the backing and used an old blanket for the middle part. I have also seen pictures of skirts made out of ties. I have also heard about vests and purses/tote bags.

I saw a picture of a Christmas wreath made from ties having red designs in them. The ties were wrapped around a styrofoam form with the pointed ends on the outside edge. It was very pretty. I have not made one. It's on my list to get to someday.

August 27, 2011 Flag

Any ideas on how to make a name badge holder from a man's necktie?

By Carol O.

Check youtube or ehow website.

Not sure how the tie would be used but if it is worn like a tie try adding a clear plastic piece to the front by machine stitching and then leaving the top open for the badge.

Good luck!

Load More
Crafts Recycled CraftsNovember 30, 2011
Neckties Tied to a Wooden Dowel
Making a Pillow Case Using Neck Ties
An array of neckties.
Making a Tree Skirt with Neckties
Necktie keepsake quilt.
Making a Quilt With Neckties
A unique purse made from old men's neckties.
Making a Purse from Neckties
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on August 23, 2016 at 2:06:18 AM on 10.0.0.182 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.