Crafts Using Neckties

Neckties are a popular, colorful crafting supply. They can be used in making new clothing, quilts, purses, and other projects. Use the ones you have around the house that are no longer fashionable or check out the thrift store for a new supply. This is a guide about crafts using neckties.

December 6, 2016 Flag

This is a guide about making a men's silk tie rose pin. Using a tie in your choice of color, you can make this lovely pin for your lapel or purse.

Men's Silk Tie Rose Pin

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

December 7, 2016 Flag

An old men's tie and a few other supplies are all you need to make this cute treat filled snake for Valentine's Day. This is a guide about making a Valentine goody snake.

completed snake

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

November 2, 2011 Flag

This is a guide about making a neck tie Christmas wreath. Looking for a unique Christmas wreath making idea. What about one made from neck ties? Repurposing men's neck ties is a fun crafting experience. This is a guide about making a neck tie Christmas wreath.

Neck tie Christmas wreath idea.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Teri Clark0 found this helpful
July 7, 2005 Flag

If you have an adult male in your home, you are bound to have a huge array of ties. And if it is anything like at my house, I'll bet that many of those ties go unworn year after year! Don't let those old ties go to waste - instead, create a quick, easy, and adorable snake for your child's stuffed animal collection!

Materials:

Tools:

Instructions:

The body of the snake is first:

1. Unbend the wire coat hanger so that you have a long, relatively straight piece of wire. You may need to clip off the hooked end of the coat hanger if you can't get it undone.
  2. Lay the tie on a table, face down. You will see that the tie is hollow. Start pushing fiberfill into the hollow of the tie starting at the wide end.
  3. As you get more fiberfill into the tie, you will need to push it down to the other end using the straightened out coat hanger. Be sure to fill the entire tie with fiberfill.
  4. Once the entire tie is filled, thread the coat hanger into the tie. This will allow your snake to be twisted and posed.
  5. Now it is time to create the head and the tail:

6. The wide end of the tie has a lining. Pull the lining away from the tie and stuff this area with fiberfill.
  7. Using your needle and thread, sew the lining edges together so that no fiberfill can leak out.
  8. Repeat STEPS 5 and 6 on the small end of the tie to create a tail.
  9. Using the hot glue gun, glue on two googlie eyes.
  10. Cut your pipe cleaner in half. You will only need one of the halves.
  11. Bend the pipe cleaner half in the middle.
  12. Using the hot glue gun, glue the pipe cleaner on the point of the head to create a tongue.
  13. Once the hot glue is dry, you can coil your snake! My daughter coils hers around her bedpost and it is a great conversation starter when she has friends sleep over!

Additional Ideas: Add dried beans to the tail instead of fiberfill to create a "rattle" snake!

© 2005 ThriftyFun

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
    Read 3 Comments

December 15, 2011 Flag

This is a guide about making a quilt with neckties. Making a necktie quilt is a great way to reuse old ties. Using neckties from someone special will make the quilt a cherished keepsake.

Necktie keepsake quilt.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

December 1, 2011 Flag

This is a guide about making a pillow casing using neckties. Neckties are easily available in either secondhand stores or in your own closet. This can be a great way to reuse sentimental garments as a beautiful keepsake.

Neckties Tied to a Wooden Dowel

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

October 30, 2004 Flag

Want to keep up with trends, but don't have the bucks to spare? Here's a real hot fashion trend that you can spend no money on! Grab one of your husband's ties or one of your own and use it in place of a belt.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

February 4, 2008 Flag

I am looking for a pattern to use my Dad's ties. If any one can help please let me know.

Lee from Paragould, Ar

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I like the idea of "WEAVING" them back & forth, then sewing the sides (to hold then in place) then using them to make or cover a throw pillow... What a wonderful conversation piece for your bed or living room! ... I bet you could also make woven ties into square chair pads or even sew a table runner from ties that are sewn horizontally & every other one changes direction. GOSH! .. I never thought of using ties to decorate with before, but the idea sure is growing on me! ... You know, come to think of it, I wonder if you could put a spring-rod across a doorway (in a teenager's room) & hang ties from it to make a room divider, like we did with beaded curtains! This would work well especially in an older boy's room where beads might be considered to "girly"...

I saw a chair once, like a ladder back chair with the seat part weaved out of neck ties. All of the chairs in this coffee house were different, so it fit in very well.

December 6, 2011 Flag

A family member recently died and left quite a few men's neckties behind. We are looking for a craft or something that can be made from them for his four children. (Please don't suggest the necktie skirts, that idea didn't fly). Maybe something like a picture frame, wreath, or something to hang. Any ideas? This would be for an adult male and 3 older teen girls.

By April from Plattsburg, MO

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I am sure that you will find lots of ideas. You can use old picture frames, and wrap and glue the ties around. You may have to end up 'gluing' the backing to the frame as the fabric will prevent it from closing properly. You would then leave the top open, so the photo can be slid down from the top.

You can make bed or couch pillow covers from the tie fabric. Several ties can be sewn together to make a hanging earring holder. The person then just pins the earrings through the fabric.

There are multiple things I can think of that I would love to have made from ties, and hope you find lots of ideas, and hoping that the family loves them very much!

I posted a craft on Thrifty Fun showing how to make silk tie rose pins from men's ties. Here's the link and a photo: http://www.thri  7898661.tip.html

August 22, 2011 Flag

I have a collection of old ties and would like new ideas for using them in sewing or quilting projects.

By Kathy E.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I used my now retired husband's work tie collection for coffee and tea pot cosies, a Christmas tree skirt, and a stocking for him to hang on Christmas Eve (we're newlyweds, got married last January). You can piece together the ties as they are, or you can open them up, cut them into patches and create a larger piece of fabric. I've done both, have to say that leaving them whole made for a very pretty tree skirt. But the piecing I did on the cosies was very cute too.

You can make cool wind socks or use as belt ties. Hope this helps.

September 16, 2012 Flag

I was wondering if you wash the men's ties before cutting and sewing them together? If so, do you use hot or cool water and do you put them in the dryer? What other process would you go through before cutting them into strips or what ever design you choose?

By Carol F. from Mesa, AZ

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I would go by if they had been cleaned and never worn again. Many years ago my late aunt made a gorgeous quilt out of men's ties. I don't know if she washed them or not, but I know if she did, it was by hand and at that time she didn't have a dryer. She also ironed them.

All she used was the wide front part of the tie and in the sewing process she laid one tie one way, and then the one beside it she laid that one so that the wide part of it was next to the narrowest part of the first tie, that way she kept the shape of the quilt in a square shape, when she got the quilt the size she wanted it, she feather stitched around each piece in varigated colored thread. For the backing she used red satin fabric.

I make tie skirts from ties that people give me, and ties that I buy in thrift stores. Since I don't know how clean they are, I hand wash them in detergent and warm water by soaking them in small batches for a half hour in a basin, then rinsing until the water is clear.

I usually fill the basin for rinsing and empty it about 3 times. Then I take the dripping wet ties and finger smooth them and drape them over something where they can drip and air dry. The horizontal grab bar in my tub works well for this. When dry, I press with a press cloth if needed, then sew. Most of the time, the weight of the water pulls then smooth enough, especially if there is polyester in the fabric. Have completed 12 skirts to date, some to wear and some for gifts. Hope this helps.

March 1, 2016 Flag

Can somebody tell me how to make the ruffled tie scarves using 2-3 ties each?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

June 9, 2012 Flag

What can I make or do with lots of men's ties that I have?

By GL Langston

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Many years ago one of my aunts made a gorgeous quilt out of a bunch of husband's ties. she used the basic shape of the tie and after she sewed them together she hand feather stitched around them, then she used red satin for the backing and used an old blanket for the middle part. I have also seen pictures of skirts made out of ties. I have also heard about vests and purses/tote bags.

I saw a picture of a Christmas wreath made from ties having red designs in them. The ties were wrapped around a styrofoam form with the pointed ends on the outside edge. It was very pretty. I have not made one. It's on my list to get to someday.

August 27, 2011 Flag

Any ideas on how to make a name badge holder from a man's necktie?

By Carol O.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Check youtube or ehow website.

Not sure how the tie would be used but if it is worn like a tie try adding a clear plastic piece to the front by machine stitching and then leaving the top open for the badge.

Good luck!

March 27, 2011 Flag

I recently saw at a craft fair flowers (maybe roses) made using neckties. It looked like it had been folded and wrapped around itself several times, and the two pointed ends stuck out to the side. Anyone have any advice how to make this?

By Christine from Busan, SK

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I googled craft of making flowers from men's ties, and found several sites. There is a good video at www.metcalf.com/make_a_flower_from_a_tie_or_ribbon_its_easy/

Check out the book "My Daddy's ties" it has great creative craft ideas...

November 5, 2010 Flag

I saw a Xmas tree skirt made from silk ties on Facebook. It was posted by Paula Dean. I sure would like to find a pattern for it.

By Irene

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I don't know if this is what you are looking for but I found this.

http://www.thri  6914151.tip.html

http://www.goog  CwAAAKoEBU_Qhp3c

I found this by putting in neck tie tree skirt. Good luck!!

March 20, 2005 Flag

When I visited Texas last year I saw a antique chair and the seat had been redone by weaving vintage men's neckties for the seat. I would love the have the directions for doing this. Thank you in advance to anyone who can help me with this craft information.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Good idea, Betty! Here is a website for a Necktie Chair seat that shows you how:

http://www.diyn  _2269615,00.html

Please let me know if the link doesn't work for you. I wish you great success!

Maryanne

http://romantichomesmagazine.co.nr

This is probably just conicidence, but I live in Copperas Cove, Texas and we have a little coffee shop in town and they have a chair with the seat weaved in neckties!! They have mismatched chairs and tables, and large grapevine hanging from the ceiling. It's a really cute place!

August 24, 2013 Flag

Did you remove the lining? And how long is the tie in the front, from the outer metal ring?

By Joann from Minoa, NY

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

March 27, 2011 Flag

I am looking for ideas with using neckties. Making angels, etc.

By JUNKYMUNKY from Canyon Lake, TX

Answers:

Crafts Using Men's Neckties

A friend of mine uses them to make throw pillow tops. She weaves them together then sews them down to a fabric block back. She used the smallest part of the tie, but it seems to me that if they were all of a size you could use the wide end, and instead of weaving, just do blocks. (07/23/2009)

By Dedeswrkshop

Crafts Using Men's Neckties

Just last year someone here at Thrifty Fun shared how she made a door wreath along with a photo, but I can't locate it now :-( It was cool! Oh I just found it, here it is: Tie Door Wreath

Here's the only other 'how to' I could find for a tie wreath when Googling, but it doesn't show pictures:

http://www.ehow.com/how_5130165_make-necktie-wreath.html

And here are some other archived TF craft uses for ties different from the ones listed at the bottom of the page you're now viewing: Crafts Using Neck Ties

(07/24/2009)

By Deeli

Crafts Using Men's Neckties

I make handbags and tote bags, there are great instructions here: craftbits.com.

I also use them for belts, headbands, curtain tiebacks, and leash covers (stitch some that are fairly even in width end to end and side by side forming a long tube, then stitch a small Velcro tab at each end. Slip the leash through the tube and fasten the Velcro to prevent the cover from slipping and voila, a fancy leash for the cost of a thrift store tie). Really ugly ones just get tied into knots for dog and cat toys. (07/24/2009)

By Thenicholas3

Crafts Using Men's Neckties

I was doing our local quilt shop hop yesterday and saw a quilt made with ties in the middle of the quilt blocks. It was very unique. They use the big part of the tie and did an overcast stitch so you could see the stitching. I thought it looked pretty neat! (07/25/2009)

By harrison2009

Crafts Using Men's Neckties

You can also make a necktie skirt. There are several free patterns online for both adult and child skirts.

(07/25/2009)

By MarieAngel

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

November 5, 2010 Flag

I am looking for uses for men's ties.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

February 4, 2010 Flag

Does anyone have any craft ideas and instructions for reusing or recycling silk ties?

By sumarks from Minneapolis, MN

Answers:

Crafts Using Neck Ties

Make skirts with them. (12/24/2009)

By kffrmw88

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Load More
Crafts Recycled CraftsNovember 30, 2011
Neck tie Christmas wreath idea.
Neck Tie Christmas Wreath
Neckties Tied to a Wooden Dowel
Making a Pillow Case Using Neck Ties
completed snake
Making a Valentine Goody Snake
Necktie keepsake quilt.
Making a Quilt With Neckties
🍀
💘
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on January 17, 2017 at 7:22:57 PM on 10.0.1.151 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.