Crafts Using Neckties

Neckties are a popular, colorful crafting supply. They can be used in making new clothing, quilts, purses, and other projects. Use the ones you have around the house that are no longer fashionable or check out the thrift store for a new supply. This is a guide about crafts using neckties.

November 17, 2011 Flag

Raid your husband's closet for silk ties he no longer wears and create beautiful silk rose pins from them. You can also purchase them for $1.00 each at Goodwill. Wear them on a blazer, pin on a tote bag or purse, or use to embellish a pillow. The possibilities are endless!

Approximate Time: About 30 minutes

Tie Rose Pin step 1

1. Beginning at the narrow end of the tie, begin rolling it up, adding a drop of hot glue as you roll. You will want to roll it up about 10-12 inches (that's where the ruler comes in) to create the center of the rose. Tie Rose Pin step 2

2. Then begin twisting the tie, applying a little glue about every 1.5 inches, and forming it around the center. Your rose will begin to take shape. Tie Rose Pin step 3

3. Once the flower appears to be the size you want it, trim off the excess leaving about 2 inches to fold to the back. This creates a nice, smooth backing. Tie Rose Pin step 4

4. Glue down the portion that is folded back, then glue on your pin back. I have also used the entire tie to create a larger flower which I pinned on a pillow (see photo). As you can see, I left the pointed end sticking out from it.

By Rachel's Mom from Wilkesboro, NC Finished Tie Rose Pin 1 Finished Tie Rose Pin 2 Tie Rose Pin on Pillow

Love this....can't wait to make some!

Thanks, M

Love this. It is a great idea for old ties. Thanks for sharing.

July 7, 2005 Flag
Teri Clark0 found this helpful

If you have an adult male in your home, you are bound to have a huge array of ties. And if it is anything like at my house, I'll bet that many of those ties go unworn year after year!

Snake Wrapped on Bedpost

February 4, 2008 Flag

I am looking for a pattern to use my Dad's ties. If any one can help please let me know.

Lee from Paragould, Ar

I like the idea of "WEAVING" them back & forth, then sewing the sides (to hold then in place) then using them to make or cover a throw pillow... What a wonderful conversation piece for your bed or living room! ... I bet you could also make woven ties into square chair pads or even sew a table runner from ties that are sewn horizontally & every other one changes direction. GOSH! .. I never thought of using ties to decorate with before, but the idea sure is growing on me! ... You know, come to think of it, I wonder if you could put a spring-rod across a doorway (in a teenager's room) & hang ties from it to make a room divider, like we did with beaded curtains! This would work well especially in an older boy's room where beads might be considered to "girly"...

I saw a chair once, like a ladder back chair with the seat part weaved out of neck ties. All of the chairs in this coffee house were different, so it fit in very well.

December 6, 2011 Flag

A family member recently died and left quite a few men's neckties behind. We are looking for a craft or something that can be made from them for his four children. (Please don't suggest the necktie skirts, that idea didn't fly). Maybe something like a picture frame, wreath, or something to hang. Any ideas? This would be for an adult male and 3 older teen girls.

By April from Plattsburg, MO

I am sure that you will find lots of ideas. You can use old picture frames, and wrap and glue the ties around. You may have to end up 'gluing' the backing to the frame as the fabric will prevent it from closing properly. You would then leave the top open, so the photo can be slid down from the top.

You can make bed or couch pillow covers from the tie fabric. Several ties can be sewn together to make a hanging earring holder. The person then just pins the earrings through the fabric.

There are multiple things I can think of that I would love to have made from ties, and hope you find lots of ideas, and hoping that the family loves them very much!

I posted a craft on Thrifty Fun showing how to make silk tie rose pins from men's ties. Here's the link and a photo:

August 22, 2011 Flag

I have a collection of old ties and would like new ideas for using them in sewing or quilting projects.

By Kathy E.

I used my now retired husband's work tie collection for coffee and tea pot cosies, a Christmas tree skirt, and a stocking for him to hang on Christmas Eve (we're newlyweds, got married last January). You can piece together the ties as they are, or you can open them up, cut them into patches and create a larger piece of fabric. I've done both, have to say that leaving them whole made for a very pretty tree skirt. But the piecing I did on the cosies was very cute too.

You can make cool wind socks or use as belt ties. Hope this helps.

September 16, 2012 Flag

I was wondering if you wash the men's ties before cutting and sewing them together? If so, do you use hot or cool water and do you put them in the dryer? What other process would you go through before cutting them into strips or what ever design you choose?

By Carol F. from Mesa, AZ

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I would go by if they had been cleaned and never worn again. Many years ago my late aunt made a gorgeous quilt out of men's ties. I don't know if she washed them or not, but I know if she did, it was by hand and at that time she didn't have a dryer. She also ironed them.

All she used was the wide front part of the tie and in the sewing process she laid one tie one way, and then the one beside it she laid that one so that the wide part of it was next to the narrowest part of the first tie, that way she kept the shape of the quilt in a square shape, when she got the quilt the size she wanted it, she feather stitched around each piece in varigated colored thread. For the backing she used red satin fabric.

I make tie skirts from ties that people give me, and ties that I buy in thrift stores. Since I don't know how clean they are, I hand wash them in detergent and warm water by soaking them in small batches for a half hour in a basin, then rinsing until the water is clear.

I usually fill the basin for rinsing and empty it about 3 times. Then I take the dripping wet ties and finger smooth them and drape them over something where they can drip and air dry. The horizontal grab bar in my tub works well for this. When dry, I press with a press cloth if needed, then sew. Most of the time, the weight of the water pulls then smooth enough, especially if there is polyester in the fabric. Have completed 12 skirts to date, some to wear and some for gifts. Hope this helps.

December 15, 2011 Flag

This is a guide about making a quilt with neckties. Making a necktie quilt is a great way to reuse old ties. Using neckties from someone special will make the quilt a cherished keepsake.

Necktie keepsake quilt.

June 9, 2012 Flag

What can I make or do with lots of men's ties that I have?

By GL Langston

Many years ago one of my aunts made a gorgeous quilt out of a bunch of husband's ties. she used the basic shape of the tie and after she sewed them together she hand feather stitched around them, then she used red satin for the backing and used an old blanket for the middle part. I have also seen pictures of skirts made out of ties. I have also heard about vests and purses/tote bags.

I saw a picture of a Christmas wreath made from ties having red designs in them. The ties were wrapped around a styrofoam form with the pointed ends on the outside edge. It was very pretty. I have not made one. It's on my list to get to someday.

August 27, 2011 Flag

Any ideas on how to make a name badge holder from a man's necktie?

By Carol O.

Check youtube or ehow website.

Not sure how the tie would be used but if it is worn like a tie try adding a clear plastic piece to the front by machine stitching and then leaving the top open for the badge.

Good luck!

March 27, 2011 Flag

I recently saw at a craft fair flowers (maybe roses) made using neckties. It looked like it had been folded and wrapped around itself several times, and the two pointed ends stuck out to the side. Anyone have any advice how to make this?

By Christine from Busan, SK

I googled craft of making flowers from men's ties, and found several sites. There is a good video at

Check out the book "My Daddy's ties" it has great creative craft ideas...

Load More
Crafts Recycled CraftsNovember 30, 2011
Neckties Tied to a Wooden Dowel
Making a Pillow Case Using Neck Ties
An array of neckties.
Making a Tree Skirt with Neckties
Necktie keepsake quilt.
Making a Quilt With Neckties
A unique purse made from old men's neckties.
Making a Purse from Neckties