Information about Hymenosporum Flavums (Frangipani)

My neighbours want to top about 10 of my Hymenosporum Flavums. I've been told it's bad to top this Frangipani as it is likely to die within two years after topping. Is this correct?

Roger Wellsted

The only thing I can find is on "Frangipani". No info on "Hymenosporum Flavums".

Plumerias (Frangipani) also known as the Lei flower, is native to warm tropical areas of the Pacific, especially Hawaii. This beautiful flower was named after Charles Plumier, 17C French botanist. Plumeria belongs in the plant family Apocynaceae. (This site gives info on care but no suggestions on pruning).

I also found this:

"I have found that you can start new plants by cutting a stem and placing it into the ground. It will eventually start to leaf out and grow, then the "wound" left will branch again."

Happy Gardening!

Doris in VA

Most trees can have what is called a crown reduction done, but not a topping. Eucalyptus get topped. I think that you should check with an arborist and if this is what can be done the neighbors who have a problem with them should pay to have it done correctly.

Thank you for the feedback.

The neighbours want to pay for the topping.

My arborist says you cannot top Hymenosporums, as they'll die within two years. My neighbour's expert tree cutter says there's no problem topping these trees.

But thank you, I'll look for some more arborists to get some more opinions. I would like to help my neighbours, but not to the cost of losing my avenue.

Kind regards

Roger Wellsted

You might contact an arborist at the closest botanical garden.

Hi Roger,

Please don't top your trees! I agree with Linda to have a crown reduction and thinning, but don't top them. They will look awful over time. Take a look here. ... orticulture/extnotes/2001/topped.htm

Frangipani Tree with pink blossoms.
Pruning a Frangipani Tree
Home and Garden Gardening TreesJuly 21, 2004
Growing Frangipani (Plumerias)
Potted Rosemary plant.
Keeping Track of Plant Information
Shredded Privacy
Protecting Personal Information
Credit Report
Providing Information to a Credit Bureau