Growing Frangipani (Plumerias)

Category Shrubs
These tropical small trees and shrubs produce beautiful, fragrant flowers. This is a guide about growing Frangipani (plumerias).

Plumerias are fun and easy to grow! Known as the Hawaiian Lei Flower, they can be both fragrant and beautiful. Look around as you drive or walk in your neighborhood - if you spot a plumeria tree or bush, politely knock on the door and ask if you could have a cutting. Never cut without permission.

Plumerias require well draining soil and can not get frost at all. They grow easily from cuttings. If you live in an area where it freezes, you can just bring the plant inside for winter.

When there are lots of blooms on your plumeria, you CRAFTY THRIFTY FUN-ERIANS can enjoy stringing them into fragrant, beautiful leis.

By Nancycorinne from Los Angeles, CA

I had to repot my plumeria into a bigger pot. The limbs grew at least a foot and a half within a few months. I had to tie one limb to a stake to hold it up and the other to another limb. Today I came home and it is all limp and has been in standing water for at least a few days. I drained the water and added some dry soil. What else can I do? Is it going to die of root rot now?

By Becky R