Preparing Your Own Will

What are the best "free" or "low cost" will templates on the internet? Or, to ask another way, what are the best and most affordable approaches to writing my own simple will? Thanks!

By VBartlett

Ii would not put any faith in those do it your self wills. State laws vary in every state when it comes to wills. Do it yourself wills are easily broken in court with a skill attorney. Best if you hire an attorney. You should be able to find an inexpensive attorney.

Try www.legalzoom.com. I always hear it advertised on the radio station that I listen to (Glenn Beck) and he is pretty reputable.

Legalzoom and Nolo are both good sites for a simple will. You enter the state you live in at the beginning so all state laws are addressed. They hold up well in court; but if you expect your will to end up in court with family squabbling etc. you should have an attorney put it together. Let him know there may be some dispute. Otherwise the internet sites are great. I cant say the radio talk show screamers make me feel good about any choice, but I have used both these sites and they have been great.

I think that handwritten wills are less apt to be overturned than ones from a template. If it is all in your own handwriting and signed, I think it is valid everywhere. However, I would not fool around with this. I would go to a lawyer as there may be legalities that you have not considered. Perhaps consult the internet for ideas on what you have to consider, get your thoughts together, and then visit the lawyer for the final document.

If you truly want some hands-on, by all means, look into an on web or template will; but even then, see a trusted attorney. Period.

I opted to hire a lawyer. Cost was a flat fee of $500 which included all the questions I could think up. There are so many more aspects to leaving a will than just who will get what. You should designate a Power of Attorney, with permission, to look after your finances/estate in case you become mentally infirm. When it comes to a will don't make any assumptions that it will be carried out as you wished it to be unless the phrasing is 100%.

Business and Legal Legal WillsOctober 10, 2010
Houses Wrecked by Tornado
Preparing for a Tornado
Food for a Large Group
Preparing Food for a Large Group
pen to paper titles "Last Will...."
Writing a Will Without a Lawyer
Cold frame and glass cloches for plant protection.
Preparing Your Garden for Winter
🎄