Can I Change A Circuit Breaker Myself?

The power keeps going off in one room of the house. I changed the outlet, didn't help. If it's the circuit breaker, can I change it myself?

Anthony from Mahopac, NY

The answer is yes, but there are a few things to remember. Don't change the breaker to a larger size. The wires in your house were designed to carry only 15 or 20 amps, my guess is 15 for the circuit that keeps popping. You probably have to much load on the circuit or a short somewhere in the wiring. You could be right, and it could be the breaker. It could be a do it yourself fix, but if you are unsure in your abilities, and have any doubt, call an electrician. How old is your home? If it is newer, bedrooms are required to have arc fault protection on the C.B.

Changing a circuit breaker is nothing to fool around with unless you are VERY sure of what you are doing. It's probably best to call a licensed electrician for that job. Liz

I dunno I think I can do it. I had 2 pop in one day well one popped and I could not get it to reset and I called myself resetting them all and one of them would not reset. Finally pushed the one that blew the first time hard like it was suggested and that worked. I have spare ones when I changed the box over so I am gonna try it at first light tomorrow glad that one post said not to take that screw all the way out. If I can work on planes and cars I can do this.

No. If for any reason your do not properly install your breaker, and you catch your house on fire your insurance may not cover the damages.

Multimeter
Troubleshooting Electrical Circuit Problems
electrician working on breaker box
Installing a New Circuit Breaker
breaker box
Pool Keeps Tripping Circuit Breaker
Electrician Working on Circuit Breakers
Troubleshooting Circuit Breaker Problems
🎉
🎄