Paint Color AdviceDecorating

Painting Walls With Cobalt Blue Countertops

We are moving in a few weeks. I will be doing some painting before we move in. My question is regarding the kitchen. The counter tops are blue, kind of a medium blue maybe like cobalt. The only color I can imagine looking OK with that for the walls would be a neutral color such as tan. Do you have any other ideas? They are currently painted light yellow. I do not like yellow.

Amy from Scott, Ohio

Try this: go to the paint store and get some sample strips that have the color of your counter. Then try the lightest color on that strip. This way you'll get something in the same color family, but lighter. Another idea: have the paint store computer-match your counter, then ask them to make up paint 1/4 that color. It will be an off-white that is "off" in the shade of your counter. Good luck!

You could go to a paint store such as Sherwin Williams or a big box store where they have paint chips that you can take home and find a paint you like.

White? Then you could use small objects with a third color.

Blue goes great with purple, brown (you don't just have to do it tan), Green - almost any color you desire. I would personally choose a green or another shade of blue - even turquoise. Since it sounds like a bold choice of color for the counter, don't be afraid to do a bolder color for the wall! Have fun with it! It doesn't have to be neutral if you prefer bolder colors!

Cobalt blue is my favorite color. A light sage green would look beautiful since it is one of the colors of nature, anything goes with it. Have fun!

Hi you didn't say whether you own the house or not. If you do there are products out there that you can paint counter tops with,or another one is to make them look like cement counter tops which are really popular. One of the things I have noticed on tv that I really like and it would be pretty with the blue is to use a taupe,or gray color on the walls and tape off some various size horizontal lines and do them in red which I would love or any other color you like. You could use that for an accent and maybe tie in your curtains with the stripes.

MMM cobalt blue! When I think of cobalt blue in a kitchen my mind goes right to a Provence/country French decor which leads to sage greens and sunflower yellow oranges. I know you said you don't like yellow but maybe consider a very very light butter yellow?

Or like another poster mentioned go bold. Maybe paint one feature wall a deep red with bold graphics on the other walls with a very white base.

Or you could so stark white walls with some very bold artwork in the same cobalt blue. Pick a 'pop' color and chose fabrics to tie the room together is a blue and white stripe and another pattern or two. You could even do some paint striping on a feature wall.

Without seeing the style of the cabinets, back splash, and floors etc. it is really hard to say but having cobalt blue counter tops as a starting point is a great place to start when you keep in mind blue is considered a neutral color.

Lots of good advice in all these post and looks like you will be having some fun designing your kitchen.

I'd go for a buttercup yellow, or if not your style, how about a nice wooden colour (brown).