Painting Walls With Cobalt Blue Countertops

Choosing the best wall paint color to coordinate with or complement cobalt blue countertops can be a challenge and quite fun at the same time. This is a guide about painting walls with cobalt blue countertops.

We are moving in a few weeks. I will be doing some painting before we move in. My question is regarding the kitchen. The counter tops are blue, kind of a medium blue maybe like cobalt. The only color I can imagine looking OK with that for the walls would be a neutral color such as tan. Do you have any other ideas? They are currently painted light yellow. I do not like yellow.

Amy from Scott, Ohio

Answers

By Sharon (Guest Post)
Best Answer

Try this: go to the paint store and get some sample strips that have the color of your counter. Then try the lightest color on that strip. This way you'll get something in the same color family, but lighter. Another idea: have the paint store computer-match your counter, then ask them to make up paint 1/4 that color. It will be an off-white that is "off" in the shade of your counter. Good luck!

By Trisha (Guest Post)
Best Answer

Blue goes great with purple, brown (you don't just have to do it tan), Green - almost any color you desire. I would personally choose a green or another shade of blue - even turquoise.

Since it sounds like a bold choice of color for the counter, don't be afraid to do a bolder color for the wall! Have fun with it! It doesn't have to be neutral if you prefer bolder colors!

Best Answer

Cobalt blue is my favorite color. A light sage green would look beautiful since it is one of the colors of nature, anything goes with it. Have fun!

Best Answer

When I think of cobalt blue in a kitchen my mind goes right to a Provence/country French decor which leads to sage greens and sunflower yellow oranges. I know you said you don't like yellow but maybe consider a very very light butter yellow?

Or like another poster mentioned going bold. Maybe paint one feature wall a deep red with bold graphics on the other walls with a white base.

Or you could so stark white walls with some very bold artwork in the same cobalt blue.

Pick a 'pop' color and chose fabrics to tie the room together is a blue and white stripe and another pattern or two. You could even do some paint striping on a feature wall.

Without seeing the style of the cabinets, back splash, and floors etc. it is really hard to say but having cobalt blue counter tops as a starting point is a great place to start when you keep in mind blue is considered a neutral color.

Lots of good advice in all these posts and looks like you will be having some fun designing your kitchen.

By Cathy from Townsville, QLD (Guest Post)
Best Answer

I'd go for a buttercup yellow, or if not your style, how about a nice wooden colour (brown).