Home Treatment For Diabetes Blisters

I have blisters on my legs from diabetes. I know I should see my doctor but I don't drive anymore and there is no one available to take me. Is there something I can do at home for them in the meantime?

Thanks

Showing: Answers Sort: Relevance
Best Answer

You absolutely have to get them seen to. Diabetes affects the circulation in the limbs and ulcers/sores/blisters can not only lead to poor healing but also infection and blood poisoning and a review of your diabetes medication wouldn't go amiss either.

I do appreciate your dilemna but you need to see a doctor followed by follow up nursing care and advice probably ongoing treatment I doubt it will entail just one visit.

Doctors are used to patients in rural areas or people without transport for whatever reason. So I would ring your doctor and explain everything. No doctor worth their salt is going to let you stay home unattended and they will be better able to help as they will know of organisations which can provide transport in emergencies. I live in the UK do you have the Red Cross in America? Because in the UK the red cross transport patients for medical treatments voluntarily or for a small donation.

Best Answer

I have had this problem and it does need treatment. As one lady suggested, contact your church or any church and explain you need a ride to the doctor. Or you can call the Eldercare Locater, at 1 - 800 - 677 -1116. Anyone in the country can use this number. You explain what help you need and give your zip code and they will locate something near you to help. They will give you number(s) to call. I volunteered for 10 years for an agency in Illinois that helped people find all kinds of help and other things. Also, if you have a senior services agency in your county, you could contact them too. Look up your local Area Agency on Aging. There is all kinds of help available. Good luck and I hope all goes well for you.

Best Answer

Hi Ellen, my husband also lost a leg this way. One of the things that I most regret is, NOT USING HYDROGEN PEROXIDE, this product seems to be the BEST, for home treatment. Then get a really good Diabetes Cream for your feet, the feet dry out because of the veins being blocked, that really is the reason why the feet or legs are amputated. When people take baths, some NEVER DRY BETWEEN the toes & water sets in & rots the skin. If you are over weight, LOSE THAT WEIGHT, it can be deadly. I hope this helps a little, I've BEEN THERE DONE THAT.

BEST WISHES

Best Answer

I have been a Registered Nurse for over 18 yrs - NEVER NEVER NEVER take advice from the internet about Diabetes Wound Care. I can not expres it enough - GO TO THE DOCTOR or you will be calling an ambulance to take you to the Emergency Room when those areas become infected and you have a life-threatening illness called "Sepsis" (an infection in the blood stream often cause by ignoring or mistreatment of other wounds).

DO NOT treat them with anything you see here or anywhere else on the internet. People do mean well but each person is an individual and what may have worked for them may not work for you.

I also suspect that your Blood Sugar is not under control, another reason to get to the doctor.

PLEASE!!! Find a way - the local police department and Fire House will also know of someone in your area that can help you.

You're in my prayers.

If you call your local church (any denomination) you will find that they have people who would be glad to help and drive you. Maybe someone there may have some answers for you.

Hope this helps.

Linda from Down Under

Hi Ellen, I'm so sorry to hear of your blisters. I really think you should call your doctor and asked their advice (you can also tell them your problem with transportation). The site I read said, if you are diabetic, not to treat the blisters yourself...chance of infection. Is there no Dial-a-Ride or taxi service in your town? Another suggestion, do you have a church you can call and ask for help with transportation? I hope you get the help you need. God bless you, Ellen.

Ellen, please listen to the people emailing you. My grandma had those very bad. You can also call your pharmacist and ask them for a home remedy. I doubt they will have one because they know you could lose a limb. So please ellen do this for us the people who care. Bonnie

There is help in Maricopa Co call the co health dept. Please don't try a home remedy. The loss of your leg or legs is at stake here. Even your life is at risk. Ask for help now.

Since diabetes leads to poor circulation and poor healing, these blisters are not something for an amateur.

In fact, in nearby Bakersfield, there is a Wound Care Center, that has specialists for healing in cases such as yours.

Since you obviously know how to use a computer, use yours to find the many groups that provide service to the elderly and disabled. Call the Maricopa Senior Center, or look up the website for Maricopa, or Bakersfield.

You may want to call the Red Cross. I heard that they provide free transportation for medical purposes, or at least they can refer you to someone who could help.

I think it's great to save money, but your health isn't something you can compromise on. Please get on the phone and call anywhere and everywhere that's been suggested until you get the help you need.

Please go to the doctor DM is nothing to play around with please follow the advice of the other wonderful emails.

From a fellow DM patient

I agree with all the other posts here. I am a diabetic and this is nothing to fool with. My brother is also a diabetic and he had problems with his foot and it turned to gangrene. I don't mean to frighten you, but he ended up having the lower portion of his leg amputated. This is nothing to fool with. It can turn bad very quickly.

Our local hospital provides a free van service for patients that cannot get out. We also have a taxi service for the elderly. Check with your local hospitals or the United Way in your area. I am sure there is something available to you in Maricopa CA

Go to the doctor! There are lots of options for people who need transportation.

Places to try:

-Public transport (Buses, trains)

-Local nursing home (leads for transport services)

-Your alderman, village trustee or mayor (will have leads to find you a service)

-Your church (they get this kind of thing all the time and tons of them have their own volunteer services set up)

-Your local community center (a lot of them have extremely low cost services set up for seniors)

-Your doctor (there may be something set up at the center or hospital where they work)

Do go! I have diabetes and would advise you to be VERY concerned. Two of my aunts have had legs amputated from diabetic complications.

Diabetes is nothing to mess around with. Go to your doc as soon as you can. These kinds of ulcers, if untreated, can lead to amputation. Don't risk it!

Answer

A blister on a leg
Treating Leg Blisters
Health & Beauty Home RemediesJune 27, 2007
Diabetic Meal Planning
Diabetic Meal Planning
Strawberry Rhubarb Pie
Diabetic Strawberry Rhubarb Pie
Woman with a blister on the bottom of her feet.
Preventing Blisters on Feet
Kitchen Window Treatment
Kitchen Window Treatment Color Advice
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on March 14, 2016 at 10:17:57 AM on 10.0.1.158 in 720 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.