Bathtub Plug Linkage Broken

I have a bathtub with a concealed plug that's activated from the overflow cover. The linkage broke at the small hook where it attaches to the plug.

My question is how do I remove the plug (which is in the closed position) from the drain so I can replace the linkage? In the alternative, is there any way I can move the plug out of the way so the drain will run? This tub is NEVER used for baths.

Thanks for your help.

Bill from Cincinnati, OH

You can pull all of it out if you remove the overflow cover. DH did ours because with age those things collect gunk and won't flow freely even in the open position.

Home and Garden Repair Home BathroomDecember 5, 2007
Porcelain bathtub.
Removing Paint from a Porcelain Bathtub
Photo of decals stuck to the bottom of a bathtub.
Removing Bathtub Decals
A bathtub.
Cleaning a Textured Bathtub Floor
Homemade Softscrub Cleaner Recipe, Photo of cleaning bucket and supplies.
Cleaning Yellow Bleach Stains in a Plastic Bathtub