Adding an Electrical Plug to an Outdoor Light Fixture

This is a guide about adding an electrical plug to outdoor light fixture. When you need a low voltage plug-in for outdoor lights you may not need to install a GFI electrical outlet.

I would like to add string lights along my fencing and chainlink fence. I don't have an electrical outlet out back, but do have a light right at the door to go in. Is there a way that I can switch that light out and include on that an outlet in order to plug in my string of lights? I appreciate all and any suggestions!
Thank you.

Answers

Best Answer

I use a light socket adapter. It screws into the light socket and then accepts two prong light strings. Look in the electrical aisle of a hardware store. About $4.00.

I strongly suggest that you have a licensed electrician install a safe, legal and effective system for your outside lights.

Ginnie is right. Tell a clerk in 'Electrical' what you want to do. They can show you the socket adapter you'll need. Most modern outdoor string lights use very low wattage bulbs and you probably would be safe burning two strings.

But, for this project and any other outdoor electrical project involving this light fixture, know the maximum load it will safely carry.

Thank you Ginnee! Something that simple!