Rewiring a Fluorescent Fixture

0
Share
Save
Follow
Print

Fluorescent Light FixtureA 4 tube fluorescent fixture was previously wired for operation from two switches in different locations via 4 wire cable, blk , wht, red with bare ground wire. The fixture uses two ballasts with 8 wires each Two red, two blue, two yellow, one black and one white. The reds, blues and yellows in each ballast are paired together with a wire nut on each pair. The white wires from each ballast are twisted in a wire nut.

The problem comes with the black wires. The black wire from one ballast is connected the black line wire. The black wire from the second ballast is connected to the red wire. I don't need the red wire because I only need access from one source so what do I do with the second black wire? I've installed a three wire plug on the power cable not using the red wire. Only one pair of bulbs work. Taking the black wire from the red wire and connecting it to the black wire shorts out circuit. Incidently, only one ballast is grounded. Can that be the problem?

Hubert Goodwin

Home and Garden Repair Home ElectricalOctober 1, 2017
🌻
😎
🎆
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Rewiring-a-Fluorescent-Fixture-1.html