Electrical Circuit Not Working After Adding a Light Switch

Category Electrical
Unfortunately some seemingly minor DIY electrical repairs have unforeseen consequences. You add a new switch only to have the entire circuit stop working. This is a guide about electrical circuit not working after adding a light switch.

I updated my outlet and a switch. After the new switch and outlet were installed only my outlet worked, but the light switch would not turn on lights. While I was removing wires from the old outlet the lights went out.

I thought I might have mis-wired something so I rewired the outlet using a picture I took of the original wiring. The light switch still won't work. I plugged in a device to see if outlet would work, but it didn't. I used a voltage detector to see if was hot and it was hot all over the outlet near all metals. The outlet popped and tripped the circuit breaker when I accidentally touched the voltmeter to the ground wire. Now no hot at all even with circuit breaker firmly in on position.

Please help me figure out what is wrong. Thank you so much.

Answers

Even though it sounds like you are quite handy, I am always of the mind with electricity to practice safety first and call in the experts.

You can give them all the steps you took and let them do the rest. I say this because we had two electrical fires burn houses to the ground in my area and both were DIY electrical projects.

Wishing you an easy solution!!

If I were you, I would get a qualified electrician. If you wire something incorrectly and a fire results, insurance will not pay.

Anonymous

Thats what I did. Thanks!

I have two breakers for my basement. I put a room in and the lights came on when all others came on so I wanted to put in a switch so l can turn off the light in the room. The light is at the end of the electric flow. To turn off power to room I just turned off the lights hooked up a switch and turned the lights back on.

I flipped on the switch, but the breaker tripped. I did not turn the switch off, but threw the breaker back on. The breaker flipped on, but the switch made two fast clicks and all of the lights and outlets don't work now. Hope this makes sense? Any ideas?

Answers

A wire is grounded. The black wire is 110 volt power. The white wire is a neutral wire. The green or bare copper wire is a ground wire. The switch needs to have the correct terminals.