AdviceDogs

Raising an Abused Neglected Puppy

I rescued a 5 week old Pit/Lab mix from awful conditions. She is pooping and peeing all by herself. She is eating dry puppy food mixed with a little water. I have given her a bath and got all the fleas and ticks off of her. She follows me around and everything. She is very playful and hyper, as well. What I was wondering is if there is anything I can do to make sure she grows up to be okay?

By CaiTLiN from Atwood, TN

5 weeks is very young. The best thing you can do for her is to take her for regular vet visits. She will need to be dewormed (all puppies have worms). Don't put any flea or tick product on her at this age, unless your vet okays it. Feed her a super high quality puppy food like Eagle Pack Holistic or Flint River Ranch. Make sure as she gets older you socialize her with other dogs, train her from an early age and never raise your voice to her in anger. Good for you for saving this baby's life!!!

You will be rewarded with lots of love. Just be gentle with her and she will learn. Our pit/boxer mix is such a lover, and a real marshmallow with the other dogs and grandchildren. If I were a girl dog, I would sure be chasing him...not that it would do me any good lol.

Pat

The dog was too young to know it was neglected. As long as you are treating the dog with love and kindness now, there should be no lasting effects

I already have an appointment for her to get her shots and I have the stuff to deworm her when she turns six weeks. I am feeding her puppy chow at this time cause its the best food I could find for her at walmart. Since we dont have a pet store or anything. My mom has 4 dogs at her house and she (Delilah) loves them. Its the cutest thing. You cant even tell by looking at her that she was mistreated. She has the biggest personialty I have ever seen in such a tiny puppy. Does anyone have a estimate of how big she might get? She`s a Pit/lab just to remind you. =)

There is a great site at leerburg.com and there are podcasts and articles and ebooks that are free. There are lots of fun exercises to do with puppies that build up a bond and teach them that life can be gentle and fun!