Half of My Daylilies Didn't Bloom

For the past 3 summers my daylilies have bloomed so well. This year, half the group did not develop scapes, while half did and are now in bloom. They are in the same location with the same amount of sun, same type of soil, etc. Do you know what is happening and what I need to do to make these bloom next season?

Hardiness Zone: 6b

Natalie from Fairfield, CT

It could be that your lilies are feeling a bit overcrowded. Once established, daylilies need dividing every few years. When kept in close quarters too long, their dense fibrous roots form masses and flower production tends to slow down or even stop. Daylily enthusiasts recommend dividing and replanting daylilies after they have finished blooming, in late summer, early fall, or early spring. In truth, daylilies are tough. Most anytime will work, but it's easiest when they have less foliage to contend with. Just make sure if you divide them in the fall, that you leave them enough time to become established before winter.

To divide them, cut back the leaves to about 6 inches to make them easier to handle. Use a pitchfork to loosen up the soil around the clumps and to free as many of the roots from the soil as possible. You may have to dig pretty deep to reach the perimeter of their extensive root systems. Using the fork, pry clumps out from the ground and shake off excess soil so you can see the individual fans (spray them off with water if necessary). Do your best to separate the clumps-using a sharp knife to cut them apart. Dig new holes 18 inches deep and wider than the size of the roots and create small mound in the center of each hole to set the crowns on. Space the holes 2 feet apart and make sure the crowns rest under no more than 1 to 1 1/2 inches of soil when finally covered. Next season you should see more blooms.

About The Author: Ellen Brown is an environmental writer and photographer and the owner of Sustainable Media, an environmental media company that specializes in helping businesses and organizations promote eco-friendly products and services. Contact her on the web at http://www.sustainable-media.com

My sis in law has this problem, only none are blooming. She ran into a neighbor at Home Depot and she said it is caused by fungus in her daylillies, so she is attacking that with a vengeance. You might ask around and see what it looks like so you can check for that, good luck.

They may need dividing? They could be too crowded in their space.

Google Daylilies; call those who specialize in daylilies and they may be able to direct you on how to check this out further.

A daylily is my favorite flower. I have paid 50.00 for a fan. Do you know the name of your daylily? Some require more sun than others. I always use oak leaves for mulch and lots of water. If they are tall and yellow or orange they may be the old original kind that take over and kill your other daylilies. Some will just take over. You should divide them every 3 to 5 years. I have good,dark, rich soil. I use a childs long handled shovel and dig around the base slightly. You don't want to hurt the roots. Then I pull the roots apart by hand. You could use a sharp knife if you needed to. Then I would baby them. I would put some in pots if I was losing some of them. Then water and mulch. If you have any bad bugs you could use 7 dust mixture from Wal Mart. I place salt and crushed egg shell at the base of the plant if I see slugs. That has happened maybe twice in 30 yrs. I also put beer in a tuna can around the base and many bugs and slugs were killed. You really need to know the name of your lily before you search for it. I had them all along my cement walkway and people dug them up and stole them. Boy was I mad. Now they are in the backyard. However my 100 lb big girl, a great pyrn steps on the fans and that it for that year. But they come back the next year. Post what you do online to help them please. Wishing you the best.

Daylilies Not Blooming
Daylilies Not Blooming
Home and Garden Gardening FlowersAugust 24, 2006
Textured Half Shell Cowl
Making a Textured Half Shell Cowl
Triangle Quilt Blocks
Making Half Square Triangle Quilt Blocks
Growing Daylilies