Soup Savvy

I save all veggie peels, cooking water, cores, meat bones, etc., and always have a pot simmering on the woodstove. I am assured of having homemade soup stock on hand at all times. However, as much as we love it, my finicky teenaged daughter refuses to sample my soups du jour.

I thought I had a solution. As of late we have been deluged with coupons and great grocery store deals for canned soup, until I read the labels! I was shocked at the amount of sodium they contain. But, naturally, DD requests this stuff on an almost daily basis. So, when she's not looking, I pour out the canned soup stock and replace it with my healthy, tasty version. She's never noticed the switcheroo!

By Marilyn A. from Milford, NH

I used to tell my boys that only those women who cxould pass the difficult "sneaky test" were allowed to become mothers. Congratulations!

=(^.^)=

Are you saying that you serve the canned soup but replace the broth with your own? Or that you dump out all the soup and tell her the stuff in the pot is canned when it is yours? Either way you're wasting something. If you are just pouring out the broth from the canned soup the veggies, meat and pasta have still absorbed all that sodium and MSG.

You should tell your daughter that this is what you are serving and this is what she will eat. Hunger is the other option.

Perhaps a weekend volunteering at a soup kitchen will make her appreciate a good homecooked meal.

BTW, this was how I got my husband to eat leftovers. When we met ten years, he told me his mother never made him eat leftovers. A couple hungry nights while I enjoyed leftover soup, stew or casserole "cured" him:)