Stuffing that Warms with Body Heat

Remember the old warm up seats that you'd take with you to go to the local high school football game on a cold fall night? I'd like to find out what the "stuffing" is in one of those items so I can make a small pet bed for my cat to sleep on. She is always cold and this would be perfect for her because it would keep her warm with her own body heat. No electric or batteries.

I saw these kinds of beds for sale online for $20-$60 each, but why buy one when I can possibly buy the "heating" ingredient and make one myself? (or maybe get the ingredient from someone on freecycle?)

Any ideas? Do you think it's just styrofoam and nothing more?

Misty from Ohio

This thought just popped into my head. Have you ever seen those space blankets advertised? They look like a plastic sheet that you wrap around yourself to keep you warm. If you could find out the material that is used to make a space blanket, I'm sure that you could sew it inside a bed for your cat.

Found this information on space blankets. You can buy one right on their website.

http://www.nitro-pak.com/product_in ... sid=fb6c92ba5a7815e86c8818ee0c99c733

i had one of those "bun warmers" that got a hole in it. inside were teeny tiny styro pellets. i think when you moved, the pellets rubbing together made the heat. must have... there was nothing else inside!

I made beds for my old dogs using the aluminized wall insulation that looks like bubble wrap with a space blanket on it (it comes in 4'x8' sheets) and a piece of evo foam (like those really expensive mattresses). It was expensive but I had enough for both dogs and some left to give to a friend who wanted to do the same thing. Overstock.com has evo mattress covers at one price any size often and Home Depot has the insulation. I think for my cat, I would use just the foam. The insulation makes the dog bed a little stiff and noisy. Look for pillows that when you press your hand in the imprint releases very slowly. I know you can find those rectangles with the neck humps at both edges pretty cheap now. A lot of people buy them and don't like them so you might look at garage sales. you can cut the humps off with a serrated knife (an electric knife works best) If you want the space blanket effect (heat reflected back to the body) look for anything mylar. Even a mylar balloon cut open might be big enough for a cat bed.

Go to Walmart in the hunting section, they have some cushions that men use to sit on for under $3.00 you could take the stuffing out and use it for your pet bed or use it if you pet is small. They work wonderful.

I used the Space blankets ( covered with a flannel blanket) from our EARTHQUAKE kits that had expired..The noise they make scared the animals and they didn't use them at all. GG Vi

http://www.bubblewrap.com/ << click on bubble wrap fun & then click on 1001 uses.

I read that it is a very good insulator & they suggest to cut a 6' length of it to put under a sleeping bag + it also is a moisture guard !

If you've ever put your hand in a box of styrofoam packing peanuts and felt it get warm, you'll know that styrofoam is a great insulator.

I was lucky to find one of those warming blankets for cats on clearance for $5 & got it. It IS noisy,but my old kitty LOVES it because it keeps his 'old bones' warm. But I have to say my mom got one for her dog, who was so afraid of the noise it made,that she never used it.

The noisy thing that keeps it warm is a space blanket. It is like a shiny aluminum blanket, that reflects your body heat back.. You can find them in the camping Dept. at Walmart, on the wall with the disposable rain ponchos & stuff. It's packaged small enough to fit in your back pocket & is less than $1. I used to have one folded under my kitty's favorite blanket until I got him the warming blanket

what about one of those old fashioned water bottles that you fill with warm water you could put it in between the sheets if you could get ahold of a down comforter that would keep the cat warm

I used styrofoam peanuts I saved from packages and stuffed them in a woven plastic bag that sunflower seeds came in, just don't over stuff. I just sewed the end closed and the cats love it. It is light weight and easy to clean, you could put it inside a large pillowcase to match your decor.Try putting some catnip in the bag to entice a hesitant cat. This idea would work for warm seating at a game just use a smaller bag.

You can get space blankets from most adventure type stores, I've used these before and they work well. If you follow tucsoncarrol's advice regarding the Bubble wrap, you can get a bargain from http://www.manuli.co.uk.

I've also seen a device at my local garden centre which you can put in the microwave and it acts like a hot water bottle, sorry but can't remeber the name.

I found a hunter's seat at a yard sale a few months ago. I covered it with some soft fleece and kitty loves it! It cost me a whole 50 cents to make! Thank you everyone for your ideas!

Crafts AdviceNovember 6, 2007
Stove Top Stuffing
Recipes Using Stove Top Stuffing
Hot coffee mug on wood table.
Removing Heat Marks from Furniture
Watering Flowers
Helping Your Garden Beat The Heat
Delicious Stuffing
Tips for Making Delicious Stuffing
🎉
🎄