Tips for Making Delicious Stuffing

Category Cooking Tips
Get creative the next time you make stuffing, whether you doctor boxed stuffing mix or make it from scratch. This is a guide about tips for making delicious stuffing.

With the high price of seasoned bread for stuffing ($2.50 on sale), try making your own. Bake a basic white loaf of bread in bread machine, but add 2 Tbsp. sage and 1 Tbsp. onion flakes or powder. When it is a day old, cut in cubes, let dry out. I always put in warm oven for half hour or so to hasten the during process. Store the cubes in the freezer til ready to use.

By Wisgal from Lake Geneva, WI

This is for any stuffing recipe containing sage. The addition of chopped boiled eggs and chicken broth makes the the flavor deeper and the dressing healthier, since it has protein in it from the eggs. After it is ready to be served, we pour brown gravy over ours - it is heaven! I put twelve boiled eggs in my stuffing recipe, and it is all done in the crock pot. You can add as many as you like.

By Robyn from TN

I have done my stuffing in the crockpot and have added a can of cream of chicken or celery soup to the top.

By ReNee S.

I use one package of bread stuffing and one package of corn bread stuffing. I follow instructions on packages using chicken broth.

The secret to mine is I add chopped walnuts, one diced apple, along with the cooked giblets, chopped celery, one can of diced water chestnuts. I then add 1/4 cup apple juice and 1/4 cup orange juice. I bake it in a pan, or sometimes I stuff the turkey with it.

This is my most requested dish!

By Annie Rios Hill from Columbia, MO

A recipe called for a box of stuffing. I don't buy it because I prefer whole grains to white bread. Instead, I took some slices of whole wheat bread, toasted them until they were dry, but not overly browned, and let them air dry a few minutes.

I have a box of Chicken Helper for chicken and stuffing. I just want to use the stuffing in the box. I'm doing something different with the chicken. I've never made stuffing before and have no idea how to make this simple dish. Please help.

By Meghan from Raleigh

Answers

Chicken Breasts and Stuffing Bake
With a little help from a mix, you can have chicken and stuffing on the dinner table in less than an hour. What a comfort! Prep: 10 min - Bake: 40 min

4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (1 1/4 pounds)
4 slices process Swiss cheese
1 package Chicken Helper® chicken & stuffing
1 can (4 ounces) mushroom pieces and stems, drained
1 1/2 cups hot water
1 cup hot water
2 tablespoons margarine or butter, melted

1. Heat oven to 375F. Place chicken in ungreased rectangular baking dish, 13x9x2 inches; cover with cheese slices. Sprinkle with Stuffing and mushrooms.

2. Mix 1 1/2 cups hot water and the Seasoning Mix; pour over stuffing. Stir 1 cup hot water and the Gravy Mix with wire whisk until smooth; pour over mixture in dish. Drizzle with margarine.

3. Cover and bake 20 minutes. Uncover and bake 15 to 20 minutes longer or until top is golden brown and juice of chicken is no longer pink when centers of thickest pieces are cut.

Makes 4 servings

High Altitude (3500-6500 ft): Heat oven to 400°F.
Substitution: Four ounces of sliced fresh mushrooms can be used instead of the canned mushrooms.ggo dluck.

Chop celery and a onion in small pieces, cover with water and cook till soft. Tear a loaf of bread in small pieces, add celery, onions and juice to bread. Add sage seasoning. I use a heaping couple tablespoons but you might not like that much. Add a can or two of chicken broth and stir well. You want it to be moist. Put in caserole dish, bake at 350 about 40 minutes.

Follow the directions on the box leaving out the chicken. It's been a long time since I've used the "Helper" mixes but it probably calls for just water & maybe a flavor packet (if that's in there)