Using Garlic to Repel Fleas

Is it true that you can use garlic as a flea treatment for dogs? I was told that you give the dog a little bit of garlic every day and it gets into the bloodstream which helps keep the fleas away.

By Kac from Bennington, VT

I read on a website, that garlic is poisonous to dogs.

No garlic; no onions. Sorry, but you can buy reasonably priced flea treatment through this link.

Best check with your vet or a vet school and do more research on this one. I've also read that it is dangerous (anonymous source) but, my sister has been adding garlic powder to her dogs' food with great results in eliminating fleas. And they live in a very warm, humid climate where fleas thrive. All three of her dogs (three different breeds) are healthy and without fleas.

Sometimes, home remedies are shunned by those with a vested interest in promoting other products. NOT SAYING that this is the case in this situation, just that it's important to research these things carefully and thoroughly. Just because someone wrote something on the web doesn't necessarily mean it's true. Verify the authority of the source before making your decision to try or not.

I've had pets (mostly dogs) my entire life & had flea problems ONE time. For the past 30 years or longer, I've cooked my pets meals & always use fresh garlic 3-4 times a week. And I have NEVER had any trouble with fleas. As far as it being dangerous for dogs, I suppose it could be, but just use common sense, as you would for any other items you feed your pets.

Currently I have 4 "fur children" ages 14, 10, 3 & my new one is 10 months. They are all healthy, happy & free of fleas. I love them very much & would never give them anything that would possibly jeopardize their health. Hope this helps with your garlic decision. Wishing you & your pets all the best.

Using Garlic to Prevent Fleas
Using Garlic to Prevent Fleas
Pets Dogs AdviceNovember 11, 2010
dawn for fleas
Dawn Dishsoap For Fleas
Plants That Repel Insects: Spearmint Plant
Plants That Repel Insects
Woman with bad breath covering her mouth.
Getting Rid of Garlic Breath
Getting Rid of Fleas in Bedding. Upclose photo of a flea.
Getting Rid of Fleas in Bedding