Making Homemade Piddle Pads

For training puppies and dogs unable to go out to relieve themselves, piddle pads can be helpful, but expensive. This guide is about making homemade piddle pads.

February 8, 2008 Flag

How would you make washable pee pee pads for puppies? What material would you use for waterproof bottom? I know that a towel could be used for the top but it needs waterproof backing.

Tess from Clifton, Ohio

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Maybe try cheap plastic tablecloths from the dollar store. They also show up at thrift stores a lot too.

I think the TRICK to those "piddle-pads" is that EXTRA-ABSORBENT gel stuff they use in the center (like in Pampers). There's really nothing like it on the market (except those water absorbing crystals for plants). So if it were me, I'd go to a thrift store & try to find diapers for the elderly. I see these at thrift stores ALL the time!

Because you'll never be able to have the same absorbency at the originals, your homemade ones won't work as well, but if you still have your heart set on making them, here's what I'd do:

Starting with the bottom layer, up:

1) A kitchen or trash size garbage bag goes down on the floor first, to protect the floor (You'll have to throw this away after it's used several times) Or use a plastic shower curtain from the $1 store (sometimes they come 2 in a package for $1). Then:

2) Several old but absorbent towels that can be bleached. * if you want to wash them use REAL towels, if NOT, buy super absorbent paper towels at the auto parts store or in the auto parts or painting area of Walmart.

3) On the very top layer: If you're also using it for poop, some kind of gauze or cheesecloth on top to use to pick up or "strain out" the poop.

* If you're making the "throw-away" type with PAPER towels, you can buy some of those super-absorbent plant crystals to sprinkle between the layers of paper towels (in the garden section of most stores. You only need a TINY bit!)

--->You might also look on e-bay, that's where my sister buys her doggie piddle-pads. Or post a note on Craig's list for several people in your area to go in with you on a super large wholesale box of real piddle-pads (if that's possible)

Use the Cheap old fashion way, Old Newspapers. You can also sometimes get puppy pads at the dollar store 4 for $1.00 thats only 25 cents each, cheap if you ask me. But they don't always have those in stock, I usually load up on them when they do have them. But yrs ago when I couldn't afford even that, I used the good ole Newspaper a Mop and a bucket of water with Bleach.

Hi, We recently had a litter of puppies. What we did was used a pack and play (play pen) it was great for keeping my 3 yr. old grandson away from the pups and them confined and safe. Still they could be admired. :)

The bottom is water proof material, so we just covered it with towels, newspapers or pee pads. I was in Walmart and down their clearance aisle I found table cloths that were .25 (cents) each. One side was vinyl material and the other was a soft like flannel material. These worked great. I cut them to size and disposed of them as needed. (frequently) but the price was right. Im sure you could hose it off and wash it to reuse it if needed. Hope this helps. Good luck. :)

shower curtains

If you are wanting to make some pads that are washable, you could use part of a waterproof crib mattress pad, and then use polyester quilt batting, and top it off with inexpensive fabric or an old sheet. Make it kind of like a quilt. The quilt batting would be absorbent, and the waterproof pad would keep it from leaking onto the floor. Sew it all together, and you have a reusable puppy pad that could go in the washer.

I approached a gal working in the hospital laundry. She was glad to recycle the draw sheets that would have been thrown out. They have washable waterproof backing and are quilted on top - perfect. I cut each into 4 making them about 14" square pads. A few needed a little zig-zagging on the sewing machine to mend, then I zig-zagged the cut edges.

I use a lid from an old rubbermaid container. its just the right size. I just lay old, cut to size towels to fit the lid.

What I use for waterproof backing is a laminated polyester fabric that is used for making cloth diaper covers. It is a little more $ but washes up better than a cheap tablecloth or shower curtain and can handle the heat from the dryer. It will last longer too. You can buy laminated polyester on ebay and etsy.com For the top of the piddle pad you could use microfiber which is suppose to be absorbent or use good ole cotton towel.

I make my own by simply using old flannelette pillowcases and old towels or when I can find them old quilted pillow protectors, the thick cotton quilted type. All of which can be found at thrift shops. I find most towels will fold horizontally into three layers that perfectly fit inside the pillowcase or if using the pillow protectors they simply slide inside the pillowcase. No sewing involved and it all just pulls apart for washing. My pups are all trained to use the pads and I've found they don't need a big area to toilet on. For a waterproof base I use the cheap, heavy duty plastic tarps sold in the Dollar shops and just cut it to size and lay the pillow case on top of it. Most times the moisture never reaches the base layer because the upper pad is so absorbent.

February 28, 2012 Flag

Purchase a roll of plastic carpet runner. You can find 5 foot rolls at KMart, Walmart or most hardware and home improvement stores. Be sure you purchase the runner that has the "gripping teeth" on the underside of it to help it remain secure on the flooring. This runner is normally used for high-traffic areas of your home to protect the carpet from wear and dirt. It also makes an excellent waterproof foundation that you can cut to size in any configuration to fit the area you need protected. Another plus is that you can also wash it, as needed.

Next, purchase a supply of towels from a dollar store or resale shop like the Salvation Army stores. Put the towels on the top of the carpet runner and launder when dirty.

Still want to use potty pads? Go to eBay where you can purchase them in bulk that are far less expensive than the local pet store. Search terms are, "potty pads" or "incontinence pads" or "puppy pads" - and be sure to compare several sellers for price difference and delivery times.

Source: My professional experience

By ThePetTeacher from Sylvan Lake, MI

Crafts OtherFebruary 20, 2012
Photo of a yellow rubber glove.
Making Your Own Clorox Ready Mop Pads
steel wool
Preventing Brillo or SOS Pads from Rusting
Puppy sniffing piddle pad.
Saving Money on Piddle Pads
A small dog.
Training a Dog to Use Piddle Pads
🎉
🎄